Book 4;4

1/3.

"So then the crowds are gathered all excited to see my coronation, when all of a sudden these boulders come rolling through, and guess what pops out of 'em? Earthbender dames! These gals start banging the boulders like drums and sing the song of my royal lineage," Prince Wu babbles on and on.

Today is Prince Wu's coronation, and I can't say I'm excited. Of course I'm happy Mako will be coming home and we won't have to deal with Prince 'Talk a Lot' anymore, but it's more so I don't care, because we all know that Prince Wu won't be a good leader and do anything for the Earth Kingdom to progress. I'm usually more optimistic than this, but this is serious, and I'm just being realistic. It's been three years, and the Earth kingdom is still in ruins! I wasn't the most sympathetic when the queen was overthrown by Zaheer, and I'm still not, but her murder was the worst thing that could've happened to the Earth Kingdom. She was a terrible ruler, but now, it's a complete war zone out there.

"Shouldn't you be getting ready to, I don't know... rule a whole nation?" I ask Wu.

"Now, now, now, don't get yourself in a tizzy. I'll have ministers for all that!" He says while putting his arm around my shoulders.

Why is this thing touching me?

"No ma'am, when Mako and I get to Ba Sing Se, it'll just be two kooky pals living the life!"

"Yay ..." Mako and I state staley while looking at each other.

President Raiko walks over to us, and for the first time ever I want him to help us and get this maniac away from us.

"Getting excited for your big day?" He asks.

"Does a platypus-bear poop in‒Hey!" Wu exclaims as he turns around angrily. "You can't put bleachers there! There won't be enough room for the Dance of the Badgermoles! Look, it's going to go like this."

He proceeds to dance and I just stand there baffled along with my brother. It's just sad that this is the future of the Earth Kingdom. What sucks even more is that Republic City is Earth Kingdom territory, so he'll have power here, too! Not much, but it'll still be something. Ugh, I'd rather stick with Raiko than to ever be under Wu's rule.

"You sure that's the guy you want running the Earth Kingdom?" I ask Raiko as Tenzin walks up joining us.

"Trust me, we'll be sending a delegation of experienced advisers to handle day-to-day governing," he answers.

I guess that's ok, but why can't we just get rid of the monarchy all together? Raiko said it himself, it's a new era. We need a new form of government, being ruled by a king and queen is so outdated.

"I see the prince is becoming accustomed to the burdens of leadership," Tenzin says lowly.

I'm sure if it were up to him, Wu would not even get a glimpse of the crown. He's just not leader material, and I think we can all agree on that.

"You know royals, they love a ceremony. Have you received any word on the Avatar's location?" Raiko replies.

"Not yet, but I have airbenders all over the world on the lookout for her. I hope they find her soon. I'm concerned about reports I've heard regarding Kuvira's growing military. They say she's throwing some of her dissenters into prison camps."

Wait, is Korra missing? I knew something was wrong the last time I saw her at Jinora's coronation. She just looked so broken, but her letters is what threw me off. She lied to me and told me she was in Republic City. I should've known something was off when she stopped writing me. I've been so distracted with Mako and moving back to the city, I didn't even ask about Korra! I feel like such an awful friend.