Book 4;4;2

2/3

The coronation starts in 10 minutes, and thank goodness! I cannot wait to get this over with. I'm staying with Mako and Wu tonight, but I'll be staying with Asami tomorrow until my apartment is ready and up to code, so I am very anxious to get out of here.

"Your royal cabinet is here, your majesty!" A voice calls from the doorway.

I look up to see 3 men who I assume by their Earth Kingdom ensemble are the one's crowning Wu today.

"Where have you been?" Wu asks, freaking out. "My coronation is in ten minutes! Where's everyone else? Where are the Seven Sacred Chests of Exquisite Finery? Where are my grandfather's taffeta pantaloons?"

"Sadly most of your servants were scattered and the royal things were looted after the queen was... removed from office. So your coronation may not have some of the usual items ... like ... the crown."

Ha!

I may sound harsh, but come on. I'm not saying he deserved to get his stuff stolen, but maybe this will humble him. Things are bad, and his job to be king is not something to take lightly. He has so much work to do if he genuinely wants to help the Earth Kingdom. Wearing a fancy crown won't do that.

"There's no crown?! How can you have a coronation without a crown? How will people know when I'm officially the king?"

"Having a crown does not make you a leader," I reply lowly.

It's true. In order to be a real leader, you need to prove it through your actions and willingness to do anything for your people. It has nothing to do with some fancy hat.

The man opens a small jewel box which contains an earring, and to be honest, it's nice. I think I would prefer this instead of some crown. It's small and dainty, not too extravagant, and that's what makes it beautiful.

"We still have one of the royal jewels we can pin it on you."

"An earring?" Wu asks.

"Don't be such a snob, at least it's something," I complain while crossing my arms in a huff.

"Think of it more as a royal brooch," the man tries to reason.

"Are you telling me that there are no dancing badgermoles? No acrobat bell ringers, no horn blowing announcery guy?"

"It will be a very simple, intimate, elegant ceremony. A wonderful day for your kingdom. Just try on the broach, your Grace. You will see it looks beautiful ..." The man explains as he tries to pin the broach onto Wu, but being the baby he is he stomps away with his arms flailing in the air.

Ugh, let's get this over with.

...

The ceremony has already started, and I decided to take my seat next to Bolin in the bleachers outside of city hall, along with other people who are also attending the event. I don't like sitting so close to Kuvira's minions, but I promised Bolin I'd sit next to him, so here I am. So far the ceremony has been incredibly boring. I'd rather be tucked away in bed taking a nap.

On stage are all 4 of the nations leaders. Tenzin representing the Air Nation, Tarlaq representing the South Pole, Eska and Desna representing the North Pole, Lord Izumi and her parents representing the Fire Nation, and Wu stands in the middle representing the Earth Kingdom. Kuvira also stands to the side, and she looks like she's about to kill Wu with her bare hands. She doesn't crack one smile, she just stands there glaring at Su. She looks so intimidating.

I look down my aisle and watch Suyin and her husband who do not look pleased one bit, but once she looks my way, Suyin sends me a polite smile and a wave. I return the gesture. I miss her and her family... especially Wei. I heard he's here, but I guess he and Wing decided to ditch the ceremony. I don't blame them, I would've done the same thing if I could. I just wish I could've said hello.

"Thank you for that incredibly brief, but very moving ceremony. I am touched by the love of my devoted countrymen who have worked so hard to restore their beloved leader to the throne. One of them deserves special attention," he says and then turns to Kuvira. "Kuvira, rise!"

He speaks very well, I'll give him that.

She walks over to him and still has yet to crack a smile or show any kind of emotion for that matter.

"For your service to the realm, I would like to present you with the Kyoshi Medal of Freedom, our nation's highest honor, which was somehow not stolen, unlike the royal pinky rings."

I didn't expect that from Wu. Usually he's so stuck up and snobby. I guess there's a real person in there somewhere. Too bad he's honoring someone who doesn't deserve it...

"Thank you. And if you don't mind, I would like to say a few words."

The hair on my neck stands up hearing the sound of Kuvira's voice. My gut is telling me this isn't going to be good. Look at where we are. Of course she's going to use this as her opportunity to not step down.

"Why not?" Wu allows. Oh, he's annoyed. I don't always agree with him, but he has every right to be.

"Growing up in Zaofu with Suyin Beifong, I learned that the idea of a royal family passing a title from one generation to the next was archaic, and that technology and innovation should be what drives a nation forward. It was the pathetic rule of kings and queens that caused the Earth Kingdom to descend into such incredible disarray. It's taken me three years to get it back on track, and there is no way I will allow it to slip back into the dark ages. I'd like to make an announcement to the world: the Earth Kingdom is no more. And from here on out," she says and then gestures to Wu, "this man has no authority."

"Wait, what?" Wu says stunned. "But I just got the royal brooch!"

"I have created a new Earth Empire, and I will continue to lead it into the future myself, bringing about a new era of prosperity for my people."

After her speech, the crowd erupts into applause and cheers.

"We love you, Kuvira! All hail the Great Uniter!" They chant.

Even Bolin stands up along side Varrick and applauds her. He notices me looking at him and he tries to avoids eye contact while he awkwardly stands there cheering for the enemy. I just don't understand how anyone can support her. Sure she saved Chief Tonraq when Zaheer threw him off the mountainside, but that doesn't matter now. What she does to people is horrible, and she needs to be stopped.

"And let me assure my fellow leaders of one thing," she adds while grabbing her medal of freedom. "Anyone who crosses our borders or stands in our way, will be crushed."

She makes her exit, but not before leaving her medal in a crumpled up piece of metal on the floor. My jaw is on the floor.

"Thank you, Kuvira! All hail the Great Uniter!"

I stand up abruptly and quickly make my way out of the stands. I march back towards the hotel Mako and Wu are staying at because I know that's where they're heading. That was... a lot. It was expected though. Lady Kimi called it herself! And I knew she wouldn't give up power, especially not to Wu! Suyin doesn't even like Kuvira, so who was the bonehead who even gave her that position of power over the Earth Kingdom in the first place? I bet it was Raiko, he's such a bonehead!

"Li Na!" I turn around to see Mako and Wu catching up to me.

"Can you believe that?" I ask him. "I knew this would happen!"

"I know, let's talk about it when we reach the room. I know Kuvira's minions are around here somewhere."

It still boggles my mind how Bolin is working for her. I know he has better judgement than that. Does he not see what she's doing to these places when they leave, or does Kuvira leave her followers in the dark just enough to make them believe that what they're doing is helping the Earth Kingdom? I don't know, but whatever is going on, it's weird.

...

Part 3 coming soon!