Chapter 23 - Navy Blue Jacket

Cooper wasn't sure what a twink was, but he found himself kind of offended. He felt River stiffen next to him, and not wanting to get involved, he went closer to the dog, petting his head.

"You're not a talker, huh?" The guy crossed his arms and stuck his chin out at Cooper before letting out a laugh. "River, who is this kid? He looks like he's part of the Hitler Youth."

Now he was even more offended.

"I told you I had to do something before I came here." River crossed his arms and had a hard glare on his face.

"Yea, something, not a child." The guy took out a cigarette from his leather jacket, but before he could light it, he saw the disturbed look on Cooper's face.

He smiled at him and spoke in an amused voice, "Looks like I hit a soft spot. Tell me, Bruno, what's your name?"

Who even was this guy?

It was as if Cooper suddenly built up a wall because he just stood there, petting the dog, not answering the question. The silence made both the guy and River look at him, confused.

"Is he deaf or something? Oh, wait, is this another volunteer thing you're doing? Don't think you're supposed to bring the special ed out here, Riv."

"He's not deaf; he just doesn't want to answer your question." River stated, sounding annoyed.

"Well, that is just rude. You know what? I'm not even going to ask about the dog. Anyways, your presence is no longer wanted, so I guess I should let you go."

The guy got off the car, letting the two high schoolers and the dog get in. River started it and rolled down the window when the guy knocked on the glass.

He crouched down and leaned on the door, "You have until Wednesday, my guy. After that, it's," he then pretended to slit his throat before chuckling. "I'm just playing, but seriously you know the deal I will kick your ass, and who knows, maybe I'll get you and your little dog too," he said while looking at Cooper.

Cooper met his eyes and noticed they were hazel but were dark. He had a permanent closed smile on his face, which made Cooper freaked out even more. Breaking eye contact with him, he glanced at River, who had his jaw locked and was staring at the guy.

"Nice meeting you, Jungvolk," he said before pushing himself off the car and walking away into the green apartment.

After he left, it was silent once again, the only sound coming from the AC.

"He's such an idiot," River mumbled under his breath, rolling up the window.

"Who was that?" It was apparent that guy wasn't River's favorite person.

River shrugged his shoulders and brushed it off. "He's no one. Just a high school drop out who's only personality trait is being a drug addict and total pain in the ass. More specifically, my ass."

"What's his name?" Cooper was curious. He wanted to know more about him so he can hate him. He called him Hitler Youth, for crying out loud.

River huffed out a sigh and leaned his head back, "Carter Brennan."

Cooper could tell he didn't want to talk about it, but he was still curious. He figured if River was going to keep answering, then he'd keep asking. "What did you come here for?"

Sitting up, River cleared his throat and put the car in reverse, "Just to pick something up. Anyways, do you want to grab a bite to eat?"

Taking the hint, Cooper sat back in his seat and nodded, staying quiet for the rest of the drive.