Chapter 58 - 5 Minuets

"You sure you're okay?" River asked as he parked the car. He had asked multiple times since before they left his house, but Cooper brushed it off every time.

Giving him a small smile, Cooper nodded, "I'm fine." His phone went off, signaling a text and going to check; he saw it was his dad wondering how he was doing. He remembered how he didn't give him an answer on if he would be home or not but figured he'd tell him later and replied saying he was at the skatepark.

He felt bad for lying, especially since he and his dad were on good terms, but his parents were sort of bugging him since his breakdown last week. They always wanted to know how he was and where he was, but they didn't know Cooper lied majority of the time. How they hadn't caught on was beyond him and everyone else, but he would take it.

"We won't stay too long, I just have to talk to a couple of people about something, and then we can go. We'll be here for 5 minutes, max. " River said, grabbing his keys and opening the door. He had taken forever to get ready, but his end result made up for it. He had on his usual tight black skinny jeans that were ripped at the knee, and a white button-up shirt with thin black stripes tucked in. As always, he looked amazing.

Cooper knew him for taking long, and River's response to it was always different.

"You never know who you're going to run into."

"I want to look good for you."

"I'm convinced you're hornier when I dress nice."

The last one he'd only said once, but Cooper told him it wasn't all that true. Although it was nice when River dressed his usual way, Cooper still reacted the same when he was in nothing but sweats and a t-shirt. Cooper enjoyed seeing River out of his comfort zone, and over the break, he'd taught him many things like eating leftovers which River apparently never did, along with cooking.

The cooking situation was weird for the both of them, though, because he taught River how to cook a couple of things, but had access to almost no knives. They were locked away in a drawer, and it took the both of them to break it, and when they did, they were shocked to see not only the knives but a handgun sitting beside them. Both shocked, they decided to forget about it and continue cooking, but later on, River said the drawer was most likely locked because the chef didn't want anyone to touch his knives, but he didn't know why there was a gun.

That was Monday, and Cooper hadn't heard anything about it since, so he forgot all about it.

Going back to the lake, they got off the car, laughing at something River said when they saw Stella exit the house and instantly notice them. River's laughter faded and he gave her a tight lipped smile and told Cooper he'd be back in a second. He met her by the steps, she gave him a small smile, and the two of them disappeared into the lake house where the rest of the party was happening.

Watching the whole thing, Cooper tried not to let it bother him, but how could he not, especially when they went inside the house, alone, together.

The last time they were alone, they were one step closer to having sex.

Shaking his head of the thoughts, he reminded himself that he and River were past that and decided to make himself busy until he was done.

He walked more into the party outside and looked at the lake that reflected the sun. It was barely out and most likely would be gone in the next couple of minutes; it looked pretty against the water, and Cooper smiled a bit, wondering how he got there. Just seven months ago, he never would have imagined being somewhere so nice, surrounded by rich kids that were snobby and stuck up. They were all attractive and good-looking, but he'd never met any of them even after attending so many parties the past year. He kept his distance and stuck by River, sometimes.