Chapter 4 - Summer Reading

The next couple of days Cooper did the same thing he did the first day. Got there early with his dad, hung out with the guys in his office, and went to classes. The teachers were starting lessons which meant giving out homework. Cooper was pretty good at staying on top of everything; he usually finished the year with honors.

At lunch, the guys all sat at the round table eating their food. Cooper waited for the line to go down before he went up. Walking over he noticed a few girls waving at him, him waving back as if it was nothing. They were kind of cute, but Cooper wasn't looking for a relationship any time soon.

Getting to the line he's met with the smiling lunch lady. Her blonde hair is in a ponytail and she's wearing red lipstick that compliments her fair skin. "What can I get you, honey?" Giving her a smile back he responds "Um just a sandwich" she hands it to him and sweetly asks for his name, "Cooper." His smile never leaving "Nice to meet you, Cooper, I'm Luz. Hope you have a good day sweetie." He bids her farewell and grabs a bag of chips before making his way to his table.

"Dude I'm already behind!" Jason says frustrated, the guys all give him wild looks. Cooper sitting next to Miles. How is he already behind? It's only the second day. "Apparently there was summer reading and I didn't do it. To be fair I wouldn't have done it anyway but still!" Cooper laughs at him before realizing,

Him and Jason have the same English teacher...and he didn't do any summer reading.

"Wait we had summer reading?" Now the guys all started laughing at Cooper. He didn't know what he was going to do.

If he went to the bookstore after school than he could just pick it up and read it tonight. He wouldn't get any sleep though. Did it matter?

"What was the book?" Cooper asked very curious, hoping it was a book he had already read.

"Something about a man and mouse." Everyone looked at him confused, Jason was the worst person to ask when it came to anything.

Cooper still looked it up though, "Did you mean Of Mice and Men?" Jason just nodded his head, and went back to eating. Cooper didn't know how he was going to have time to get the book, he had practice after school. Jason said everyone needed their own physical copy by tomorrow so that was an even bigger problem now.

He felt his phone vibrate, pulling it out he saw it was a text from his dad.

Practice canceled today,
there's a meeting in the
gym and I need to be
there. Inform the
team, I'll make sure to
send a message later.
Can you take the bus home or
find a ride?

Luck was on his side today.

okay. yea I'll find a ride.

Okay, be safe and let me
know when you make it
home.

This was perfect; he could take the bus home, grab his skateboard, and ride to the bookstore. He told the guys about practice and there were mixed responses, some being bummed and some glad practice was canceled, still tired from yesterday. The bell rang and they all got up to go to their next class. Funny enough, Cooper had English next.

Sure enough, they did have summer reading and they did have to have the physical copy by tomorrow. The teacher told them they need to annotate the first chapter for homework and that by the end of the semester they're going to have to write a paper. All boring stuff. He just doodled to kill time.

The day was over and he went to the bus he had to take. Luck was just on his side this week because he found out soon after getting on, Mike took the same one. "Hey man." He said fist bumping with him.

"What's up CC! Bro today was so boring! All they did was talk about assignments and give out homework."

Cooper agreed with him "Yea man, I almost fell asleep in Algebra. She turned off the lights and I was out." Looking around, the bus was kind of full and wondered if this many people normally took the bus.

Mike laughed and they talked some more. "You wanna come over?" He asked as the bus came to a halt at his stop.

Cooper declined and rolled his eyes, "I can't I have to go to the bookstore. Who knew we had summer reading?"

"Everyone, but alright. Good luck with that." They first bumped again and said their goodbyes.

Finally making it to Coopers stop, he ran to his house to grab his skateboard and made sure he had his wallet and took off; the ride not being that long.

He arrived 20 minutes later and walked in smelling coffee. He didn't really go to the bookstore so he didn't know where anything was. Reading wasn't his thing and he would only do it if he absolutely had to. Asking for help, a worker showed where it was. He thanked them and started reading the synopsis.

"Cooper?"

————
Quick little chappie for you :)

Like, comment, share, and add to your library!!