Chapter 5 - This Musics Kinda Gay

Highly recommend listening to The Name of the Game and Hasta Maña by Abba while reading this.

_____

Taken by surprise he looked at whoever called his name

What's he doing here? Especially on this side of town.

"River? What are doing here?"

River flashed him a smile "I'm always here Speedy."

Cooper was confused "But why? What do we have that y'all don't?"

River just shrugged his shoulders, "A bookstore that's quiet. No one knows me over here so I don't get bothered much." Cooper noticed his sleeves were rolled and his white shirt was kind of unbuttoned, his black blazer and backpack sitting on the chair. Black and red striped tie on top. His hair was slightly unkempt.

He was straight up chilling.

"I should be asking why you're here."

Cooper looked at him and showed him the book, "Oh, uh apparently I had summer reading, so I had to um come get the book."

River looked at it and nodded understandably, "Ah yes, Of Mice and Men, typical freshman selection. Come sit down Speedy." River moved his stuff to the floor so Cooper could sit.

He rejected his offer at first but River insisted, "Okay, but I can't stay long though. I have to finish it by tonight." River smiled in victory.

It had been two hours and Cooper was laughing at something River said, "I kid you not. On the first day of school, the chefs burned the lunch. Firetrucks, ambulance, and cops came speeding over. So we were all screwed because what the fuck were we going to eat? Lunch was in an hour! So they brought us Chick Fil A."

Cooper gave him a crazy look "Wait what?! Chick Fil A?!"

River continued laughing "Yes! We usually have it on Fridays, but I guess they let them know what happened."

So privileged.

"That's crazy. I felt bad for laughing at the beginning, but not after that ending." Cooper looked at his phone and saw the time "Oh I should probably get going, it's getting dark and I need to skate home." He always got nervous skating at night. He was always scared he would hit a rock and break his arm or something. Or get kidnapped, he was small so it would be easy.

"Let me take you home." River offered.

"What? No, it's fine, my house is over here and yours is...over there." Cooper saying awkwardly.

"Pft I don't care about that. Please? I want to."

There he goes saying something weird. It never fails.

"Okay, I just have to pay for this book first." Cooper goes to the register, River following behind him. The man scans it and Cooper hands him $20. He gets his change and both boys leave the store. River leads him to where his car is parked. Upon arriving Cooper looks at it in shock, he doesn't know what he was expecting but it wasn't this. "Is this a Bentley?!"