chapter twenty-three

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I have no idea, it's been there forever." Susan says, giving Dean a key. "Here you go, Mr. Mahagov."

"Thanks." Dean takes the key and Susan rings the bell.

"You'll be staying in room 237. Sherwin, could you show these gentlemen and his daughter to their rooms?"

The three turn to see an old man in a suit walking up behind them.

"Let me guess. Antiquers?" Sherwin guesses. He drags Dean's duffel bag up the steps and the brothers follow him.

"I could give you a hand with that bag." Dean offers.

"I got it." Sherwin says.

"Okay." Dean says.

"So the hotel's closing up, huh?" Sam asks.

"Yep. Miss Susan tried to make a go of it, but the guests just don't come like they used to. Still, it's a damn shame." Sherwin says.

"Oh, yeah?" Sam asks.

"It may not look it anymore, but this place was a palace. Two different vice presidents laid their heads on our pillows. My parents worked here, I practically grew up here. Gonna miss it. Here's your room."

Sherwin enters the key in the lock and opens the door, handing the key to Sam when he walks past him. Dean turns to shut the door to see Sherwin, his hand extended expectantly.

"You're not gonna... cheap out on me, are you, boy?" Sherwin asks. Dean pulls out his wallet.

~ ~ ~

Sam is sitting at the table in the room with Evie on his lap and he's going through papers while Dean paces. He walks up to an antique wedding dress.

"What the--" Sam cuts his brother off.

"What?"

"That's normal." Dean points to the dress. "Why the hell would anyone stay here? I'm amazed they kept in business this long."

"All right. Victim number one: Joan Edison, 43 years old, a realtor handling the sale of the hotel. And victim number two was Larry Williams, moving some stuff out to Goodwill." Sam informs.

"Well, there's a connection. They're both tied up in shutting the place down." Dean states.

"Yeah. Maybe somebody here doesn't want to leave and they're using hoodoo to fight back." Sam says.

"Who do you think our witch doctor is, that Susan lady?" Dean asks.

"But she nice." Evie says.

"No, doesn't seem likely. I mean, she is the one selling." Sam says.

"So what then, Sherwin?" Dean asks.

"I don't know." Sam shrugs.

"Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay." Dean says.

"Well, you are kinda butch. Probably think you're overcompensating." Sam says.

"Right." Dean mockingly laughs.