Chapter 1: A New Beginning

Natsu's POV

Three Years Prior

The guild hall is loud and chaotic as usual with everyone yelling over themselves and others getting into their usual brawls. Im sitting alone with Happy in our usual table, watching him eat a fish and humming to himself while I wait for Lucy to get here so we can hurry up and choose a job to go to. I know she's running low on rent money and me and Happy need money for food and guild expenses.

It's been two hours and she still hasn't shown up. I keep glancing at the large clock hanging on the wall only to see that the hour hand as gotten a lot farther than it was when I last checked.

I begin to anxiously tap my foot.

"Is everything ok, Natsu?" Mira walks by with a tray a food and sets it on the table.

"Lucy is two hours late. She's normally on time..." Mira tilts her head and looks up in thought while tapping her finger against her chin.

"I can't think of an excuse as to why she might be late... Maybe she slept in? No that's still unlike her..." Mira rambles under her breath and I sigh as I slouch and lean in closer to the table.

"She probably ditched." I say in disappointment and Mira frowns.

"That's nonsense Natsu, Lucy once said that things are more fun when she's with you. She isn't someone to go back on their word." Mira smacks the back of my head and I rub the now throbbing spot with my hand as I glance at happy.

"I'm surprised that you haven't decided to go break into her apartment, Natsu." Happy says and flies onto my shoulder.

"I didn't think of that." I say as I abruptly stand up from my seat.

With a giggle Mira says, "Good luck on finding her you two!" And she sent us off with a small pouch of cookies.

"Mira's right though. It's so unlike Lucy to miss out on a high paying job." Happy says as he floats alongside me as we walk down the river to get to Lucy's place.

"Yeah, but there's this funny feeling in my stomach as if there's something else about it." 

"You're probably just hungry."

"Yeah maybe..." Even if it is because I want more food in my mouth, something keeps bothering me like an odd smell. Or maybe I'm just over thinking things.

Before long, we were standing in front of Lucy's apartment building. I look up and scale the front wall of the building and watch her window looking for any sort of movement. Nothing moves, nor do I smell her scent nearby.

This is strange.

I climb up the wall with Happy tailing behind me until I reach her window. I realize once I get up here that he window is wide open and not closed shut like it would normally be if Lucy was home.

My senses go on high alert.

"Natsu?" Happy questions as I climb through the window and enter Lucy's bedroom. I look around the room, letting Lucy's sent overwhelm my nose, but her scent is light, not thick.

She isn't here, and hasn't been for hours.

"Happy, search the rest of apartment." Happy nods and flies off into another room. I walk around Lucy's bedroom, going through her desk, flipping through her unfinished novel, and searching her drawers. There is no note or any sort of notice of where she has gone. I sniff for her scent trail, but it scatters around the room and ends right at her window, leaving no other trace.

This is where my heart drops to my stomach.

I grab Happy and run right back to the guild. I rush straight to Gramps who is sitting ontop of the bar counter with Mira.

"Lucy's missing." I say with no other word and Gramps raises his eyebrows. Mira walks over.

"Are you sure? She was just here last night. Where could she have gone?" Mira asks and I only shrug my shoulders because I have no response or any answers.

"What makes you think that, boy?" Gramps taps his staff against the bar counter.

"Her scent, it just stops. As if she just vanished." Mira quielty gasps and covers her mouth with her hand. Gramps itches his chin and hops down from the counter.

"Thats a far fetch, Natsu, but if there is one thing for sure, your nose is never wrong."

Before long, Gramps sections every one in the guild hall into groups and sends them out. Every search party has a section of Magnolia to search. Using Warrens Magic, we stay in contact by updating every so often on our findings.

At the end of the day, nothing is found, and no evidence of Lucy's whereabouts. I feel useless as I wasn't able to be much help. I tried and tried but my nose couldn't pick up anymore of Lucy's scent.

"Don't worry, Natsu, she'll show up." Gray says at some point, patting my back as he walks out of the guild hall to go home with Juvia right behind him.

Gajeel and Wendy even tried to sniff out Lucy, but they also had the same problem of where her scent just cuts off and disappears.

Eventually everyone leaves and goes home. I'm the only one left in the guild hall. Happy flew on home, saying he was tired and wanted to go off to bed. I'm the only one that stayed and waited, hoped that Lucy will come walking through the guild doors, running in and saying she's late.

I did that for days, waiting and waiting but to no avail. I stayed awake for as long as I could. I never went home and always woke up to Mira putting a plate of food of front of me but I could never eat.

I was so worried, so scared that something that had happened to her. I tried searching for her keys at some point, hoping her spirits might be able to help me find her, but her keys were gone too.

I waited for so long.

But she never came back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy does it feel good to be back! Not going to lie I've missed this and getting to wait for all the notifications from you guys and seeing how much you guys enjoy my stories. I'll try my hardest to keep this up to give you all something new and exciting to read! I know I've said plenty of times that I might not return to fanfiction, but it's where I started and I shouldn't leave you all behind, cause you guys gave me the passion of writing (so much so that I'm trying to make it a career). I hope you guys enjoy this!

Thanks for reading!

Vote

Comment

Follow