Chapter 3: A Stranger

3rd POV

Natsu hid in a clearing of the woods. A small makeshift tombstone stood in front of him as he sat in the grass. He used a stick he found to spoke at the ground. He made the tombstone by punching a rock, but it was left unnamed. While he told himself he wouldn't accept the fact that she was gone, a part of him still felt as if he too should give up as the others did some time ago.

But he could never bring himself to write her name upon the face of the rock.

Happy wasn't with him, Natsu left him back at the guild with the others and snuck off before anyone could drag him elsewhere.

"I miss you," He whispered. If she did in fact die, he hoped she could hear him beyond the grave and take his words to heart like he had used to with all the witty things she would say.

He often missed her grand ideas and her complaining banter. But another part of him called him foolish for talking to a rock that will never respond. He got closer to finally letting go and giving up on the hope that Lucy might be out there somewhere, screaming for help or just lost.

But the more he thought about it, the more it seemed helpless to think things like that. It had been three years, and there was still not a trace of her anywhere. No signs, no clues, no spottings, nothing.

He poked the ground too hard and broke the stick. Cursing under his breath, Natsu stood up from his spot on the ground. He looked at the stone standing upright awkwardly. His fists clenched themselves at his side as he thought of the theory he came up with his in his mind.

What if she had just run away, and left them all behind? What if she never cared?

Natsu's fists sparked flames and he kicked the stone and watched it crumble into pebbles.

"Where the hell have you been?" Natsu was greeted by Gray the moment he set his foot into the guildhall.

"Where exactly?" Gray demanded and started to pester him. Natsu just grits his teeth.

"None of your business." Natsu shoved him away and continue to walk to his usual table with Happy who was already there chatting with Carla. Happy paid no attention to him as he sat, and continue his advances on Carla to which she respectfully declined.

Natsu didn't say a word and simply laid his head down on the table and stayed still for who knew how long. No one bothered him in that state and walked on by without a word. Mira walked by occasionally and placed a small plate of food next to him where Natsu would slowly nibble on it until there was nothing left to nibble on.

Mira always watched him quietly. She never asked questions nor forced any word of where he could be going to for so long without leaving a note or something. Mira made sure he was fed and still in good health while everyone else never batted a single eyelash.

It saddened her to see him in a state like that. No longer causing trouble or picking fights with anyone he could. The guildhall seemed lifeless. Erza was hardly around anymore besides for more jobs. Gray worried in his own way by asking questions and letting Natsu push him away as he pleased.

Natsu didn't realize it, but they were hurting too.

Wendy tried her best to keep things positive, but she too missed the friend that she saw as an older sister.

Eventually, Natsu would have to raise his head at some point to go home because the guildhall does have a closing hour. He waited till everyone had left, including Happy. Mira was the only one left and she still had duties to attend too before she could lock up and go home for the night. She swept the floors and Natsu carried himself out the door.

There was a chilly breeze but Natsu paid no attention to it. He dragged his feet across the ground as he made his slow journey back to his small cabin off in the side of town. He wondered if Happy would already be half asleep once he got back. He'd have to be careful not to bother him.

Everything was still and quiet. Everyone was shut in for the night so it was just Natsu and his thoughts out on the streets.

But then something caught his attention.

A figure stood at the other end of the road. They wore a cloak and had no other belongings besides the clothes on their back and a set of keys at their side. They stood and stared at him for a moment. The facial features visible from beneath the hood of the cloak shifted and changed as if they saw something familiar, but then quickly changed into a different look as they remembered something.

Before Natsu could say a word, the stranger pivoted on their heel and ran.

Natsu, on instinct, ran after them.

"Hey!" He shouted at them as he began to catch up with them. His legs picked up more speed as the stranger started running into the nearest woods.

They weaved through the trees, making it difficult for Natsu to track them, but with his heightened senses, he was still hot on their trail. The trees only grew thicker but the stranger still kept up their rouse as they tried to throw off Natsu, but he knew the town and its forests like the back of his hands, but so it seemed the stranger knew the town just as well.

The chasing went on for a few minutes until finally Natsu found an opening and used his feet to jump onto the back of the stranger and knocked them onto the ground. He used his body weight to keep them trapped underneath him until he could get their hands behind their back and held them together.

A feminine voice struggled. A girl they were.

As Natsu got closer, a scent hit his nose and he froze.

The set of keys he saw earlier laid on the ground next to them. He scanned them closely and named each key for every Zodiac spirit that he knew.

"Where did you get these?" He said through gritted teeth.

"Look I can explain-" She tried to say, but Natsu had already pulled her hood back and watched her blonde hair as it spilled out from hiding.

"Lucy?"

Hey! Sorry for taking a bit, I've been busy with school and other business. Other shit as well since my life always has surprises unfortunately lol. But don't worry I haven't forgotten my promise of rewriting! Hope this was an enjoyable chapter.

Vote

Follow

Comment or whatever

Thanks!