16

Demi's POV

Kenzie had fallen asleep on our way back home, so I carefully picked her up and carried her inside and to her bed., happy I didn't wake her. I was about to take a nap myself when my phone rang. "Hello?" I answered, not recognizing the number.

"Ms. Lovato?" I familiar voice answered.

"Yes, this is she."

"Hi, this is Dr. Smith calling in regards to Kenzie Wilson."

"Oh, okay. Is everything all right?"

"Well, we are calling to say unless she speaks and confesses in court that her father was the abuser, we have to send her back to him next month."

I was shocked. She won't tell me what happened, how could she tell others that she didn't even know? "Wait, what? Send her back? To him?"

"We don't have proof that he was the one to hurt her. They're both denying it."

"Kenzie isn't denying, she's just not answering it. She never says he didn't do anything. Her answer is always that she can't tell."

"Ms. Lovato, we don't make these rules. We were told to pass on the information to you."

"This isn't right."

"We already have a court date set up. She either confesses or go's back. She has a month to deicde, and you have a moth to help her. I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do. See you in a month," Dr. Smith said before hanging up the phone.

Kenzie's POV

I was left alone that night. I think my dad was at the bar with his friends. I didn't know how long I had, but I figured I'd  have enough to get something to eat. I rummaged through the kitchen until I found potato chips in the back of the cabinet. I quickly unrolled the already opened bag and stuck my hand in, pulling out a handful of chips and stuffing them in my mouth. They were stale, but I was so hungry that it tasted like the best thing ever. I stood there for a while, stuffing my hand in the bag, then chips in my mouth. Finally, I heard the door open, and I froze, my arm in the bottom of the bag. I thought he would go to his room, but he walked in the kitchen and his head immediately shot towards me. "What are you doing?" He asked, clearly irritated.

"I was just so hungry, daddy," I answered, barely able to speak because of my fear. He walked over to me and snatched the bag away, rolling it back up and sticking it in the cabinet as I licked my greasy fingers. He took me by the wrist and pulled me to the stove, turning the heat on medium. My heart was pounding so hard. This always hurts.

"This bad girl needs a lesson. Touch it," he instructed, but I just stared at the heat with my lip trembling. "Touch it!" He shouted, making me jump. I still didn't bring my hand up. I couldn't move. "We can do this the easy way, or the hard way. It's your choice."

"But-" I couldn't say anything else. He grabbed the wrist he wasn't holding and brought it up. Then he turned the heat on the highest level. "No, daddy, please," I begged, but he didn't stop. He pressed my hand against the stove top.

Demi's POV

I was so upset. Anger was building up in me, but then I heard a scream. Of course, I immediately ran to Kenzie. She was crying, looking as if something was restraining her from moving. I rushed to her side and gently shook her shoulder. Nothing. I brought my hand up and softly ran my hand up and down her cheek. For some reason, that worked. Her eyes shot open, but she didn't stop crying. She held her hand that she was looking down at as her breath was heavy. "Breath, Kenzie. Breath with me," I said softly. She watched me as I took big slow breaths, and she quickly followed. I opened my arms, and to my surprise, she came in close. Her body was still tense in my arms, but it was progress. "What happened, baby?" I asked. She looked up and opened her mouth. She was trying so hard to not spill it, I could tell. She looked down and starting crying again. "Sweetheart, talk to me," I begged.

She looked back up at me with fresh tears in her eyes. She slightly shook her head while whispering, "I can't tell you."