22

Kenzie's POV

I opened my eyes, but quickly shut them again. The sun was really bright through Demi's window. Demi was still asleep. I wanted to stay in the bed, but I was getting hot, so I wiggled out of her arms and into my room. I changed from a long sleeve pajama shirt to a shirt sleeved one. Then I went back into Demi's room, crawled back up on the bed, and wiggled back into her arms. I wasn't careful enough, though, because she started to wake up. She slowly opened her eyes and drowsily looked at me. "Sorry," I whispered.

She kissed my forehead. "Don't be," she whispered back. I slightly smiled at her, grateful that she wasn't mad at me for waking her up. "Are you hungry?" My smile dropped and I shook my head. She gave me a questioning look, and  knew she didn't believe me. "Why didn't you want to eat last night, and why don't you want to eat again this morning?"

"I'm just not hungry," I said as I shrugged. Mark had reminded me that dad wanted me to stay skinny. I had to stay skinny.

"It's not like you to not want to eat. You didn't eat lunch yesterday, and you want to tell me that you weren't hungry for dinner? Kenzie, I don't think I believe that." I shrugged again and looked down. I was hungry, but I couldn't eat. Then  heard her gasp. "Kenzie, what happened to your arm?" She sounded horrified as she sat up. I sat up, too. I looked at my arm to see a bruise where Mark had been holding me. His hand had wrapped around it completely, and you could see where his fingers had been.

"I don't know," I answered. I couldn't tell her.

"What do you mean you don't know? That didn't appear just for know reason. What happened?" I didn't answer. "Kenzie, what happened?" Demi's voice was stern, but I kept my head low. She lifted up my chin, but I eyes wouldn't look up at her. "This is serious. Tell me what happened." I started sniffling. I was trying to stop, but I couldn't. Next, my lip started to quiver. "Please, Kenzie, I need to know. How did that bruise get there?"

"I don't know. Maybe I ran into a wall," I suggested, tears forming in my eyes.

She lifted up my bruised arm and examined it more. "No, I don't think so. These look like fingers. Kenzie, tell me who did this. Was it your father? How did he get to you yesterday?"

I shook my head. "It wasn't him."

"Then who was it?"

"I-I," she stared at me, waiting. "I can't tell you." Then I burst into tears. "I'm not suppose to."

Demi's voice softened, and she wrapped her arms around me. "We've been through this before. I need to know who did this to you."

I shook my head. "No, I told you about daddy, but that just made it worse. Now I'm in a lot of trouble. I can't say anything else."

"Yes, you can-"

"No, I can't. I'm already in big trouble. Just take me back to my old house, and it won't be worse. Give me back to him, and you won't have to worry about me." I was still crying. I couldn't control everything that was coming out of my mouth.

"You want to go back?"

"No, but I don't want to be in even more trouble, and you don't have to deal with me."

Demi pulled me closer to her. "No matter what, dealing with you is not a bad thing. I am so grateful that you are in my life. You are not going back to your dad, and no one is going to take you away from me. Now, I need to know, who gave you that bruise? We will fix that problem, and any others that you say. As soon as we resolve everything, nothing will ever hurt you. Who was it?"

I didn't know what to do. I thought I could trust Demi, but telling her about dad got me in trouble. I guess it was my fault for not telling her about Mark. I should tell now. "His name is Mark He was daddy's friend."

Demi sighed. "Okay, were there anymore friends?" I shook my head. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"What all did he do yesterday?"

"He just said that I shouldn't have told on daddy, and that they were mad at me."

"When did this happen?"

"When you were in the bathroom. He made me go back to the bench before you came out. I wasn't suppose to tell you about him."

"You were suppose to tell me. Thank you. But next time, if there is one, you need to tell me immediately. I'm going to call the police so that Mark can be put in jail. What's his last name?"

"I don't know. He was always just Mark."

"Okay, well we'll see how far that gets us." I waited for her to call. She just said everything I had told her.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked as she hung up.

"No, sweetie," she said as she pulled  me close to her. "Is there anything else I should know about?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."