25

Kenzie's POV

I took a deep breath before asking this very important question. It had been on my mind for a really long time, but I've always been too scared to ask it.

"Can I call you Mommy?" I asked shyly.

I didn't get a verbal response. Demi stared at me with wide eyes, her jaw slightly dropped in shock. I had a nervous feeling in my stomach that she wouldn't want that. I don't remember anything about my real mom, and I really want to know what it's like to have one. The longer Demi and I sat and stared at each other, the more nervous I got. Her face was almost like she wanted to say something, but no words came out. I saw her eyes start to water, then I started forming tears as well. I didn't want to make her cry. Maybe I shouldn't have asked the question. I don't want her to be mad at me for that.

I dropped my head. "I'm sorry," I whispered as I felt a tear run down my face.

Demi put her hand under my chin and lifted my head up so I was looking at her. Her face was soft, and no tears had escaped. They were still in her eyes, waiting to fall. "What are you apologizing for?" She asked in a concerned voice.

I took a shaky breath in. "I don't want you to cry. I didn't meant to upset you." As I said those words, my heart pounded faster. Will she be mad?

To my surprise, she pulled me into her. She held me in a tight hug as I cried into her chest. "I'm not upset at all," I heard her say. "I'm just really, really happy." Her voice cracked, and she laid her head down on mine.

"You are?" I asked while still snuggled into her, so my words were muffled. I finally lifted my head up to look at Demi. She nodded, then tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"I'm very happy you asked that question," she said as she wiped a tear from my cheek that had just fallen.

"So you don't mind if I call you Mommy?"

She gently pulled me back into a hug. "I would love it."

I nodded while still in her hug. "Does that mean you are my mommy?" I asked while looking up at her.

She smiled. "Absolutely. That's why I adopted you. You needed a mom, and I was willing to be that for you. You are my daughter."

"I am?"

She nodded again. "And you are the best daughter I could ever ask for." She kissed my forehead, and I rested my head back into the croak of her neck.

"I love you, Mommy," I whispered.

I felt Demi's hug tightened a little. "I love you, too. More than you could ever imagine."

I know this is super short, but I left you with a Cliff hanger last chapter, and here's the answer!