11

Demi's POV

I didn't know it was possible for Kenzie to become even more distant. She was already awake when I went into her room this morning. She wouldn't talk at all. I've been trying to get her to eat, but she refuses. I had a plate of eggs sitting in front of her. "Please eat, Kenzie," I begged, but I got no reaction from her. I picked up the fork, put egg on it, and brought it up to her face, but she leaned back and bit her bottom lip, not wanting to open her mouth. "Yo've eaten eggs before, they're good." She just stared at me. I wanted to know what happened in  her dream last night, but she wouldn't tell me. I sighed in defeat and put the fork down. Then I heard the door bell ring. "I'll be right back," I said before getting up and answering the door. It was Nick, one of my best friends. I had invited him because I knew Kenzie's room stuff would be here today, and I would need help. Now with Kenzie acting the way she is, I don't know if it's such a good idea. I decide to let him stay anyway. Kenzie won't get hurt. "Hey Nick," I say.

"Hey, Dems," he replies, stepping into my home. "Where's the kiddo?" I lead him into the kitchen where Kenzie still has not eaten a bite. As soon as she sees him, her eyes grow huge and she runs out of the kitchen.

"Sorry, Nick," I apologize.

"No, it's fine. You said she'd be scared."

"I think she went to her room, I'll go check," I say before heading to Kenzie's room. Her door was shut, so I slowly opened it and peeked inside. "Kenzie?" I ask in a quiet voice. I found her sitting in a corner with her knees to her chest. I walk in and gently close the door behind me, not wanting to make a lot of noise. I walk to her and sit on my knees in front of her. She's sniffling when she looks up at me. "Hey, it's okay. That's Nick. He's my friend. He won't hurt you, just like I won't hurt you."

"I'm sorry for being bad," she cries out.

My heart shattered into a million pieces at her words. "What? No, no you weren't bad. What made you think that?"

"I was bad because I wouldn't eat when you told me to, so you called him over, and he's going to hurt me." Tears fell from her eyes as she spoke, and I was tearing up. "I promise to be good."

"Kenzie, you've not done anything wrong. I called him because the supplies that we ordered are coming, and I needed his help."

"P-promise?" I nod my head.

"And your dream last night, I don't know what happened, but it will never happen in real life when you're with me. It was just a dream."

"Promise?" She asks  again, this time in a whisper.

I nod my head. "Promise, with all my heart." I hold out my hand for her to grab, an surprisingly, she takes it.

"Demi, may I eat now, please?"

"Of course, and where did you learn such good manners?" It surprised me. She shrugs her shoulders, and I lead her into the kitchen.

"She's going to eat," I say as we pass by Nick. I could feel Kenzie's hand grip mine harder as we pass him. I look down at her, and she refuses to look at Nick. I sit by her at the table until she finishes her eggs.

"Thank you," she whispered when she's done. I smile down at her and get up  to take her plate to the sink. She gets up and follows me, not wanting to be left alone.