34

Demi's POV

"Okay, that's it. Kenzie is ready to go home. Remember, she'll be in some pain, and it might be hard for her to walk. She's going to have a really hard time because she's so small. Just give her the prescription, and it should help a lot. We'll see her in two weeks for a check up," the doctor said. Kenzie was on my hip, and eager to go home. She really didn't like the hospital, and I couldn't figure out exactly why. I guess she just wants to stay away from everybody. I don't blame her.

"Thank you for your help," I said before leaving. I carried Kenzie out to the car. "Ready to go home, baby?" I asked. She nodded as I got her buckled in her car seat. I got into my driver's seat, then started the drive back home. It didn't take long for Kenzie to fall asleep. She didn't sleep very well at the hospital. On the way back home, all I could think about was how heavy my heart had been feeling. Kenzie has been in so much pain, and it'll continue for a while. I was supposed to protect her from all of this. I trusted the wrong person, and now Kenzie's miserable. It's not fair to her. She did nothing wrong. She doesn't deserve any of this pain. How could those men be so heartless? How could have they enjoyed what they did to this little girl? They're sick monsters.

My head cleared out as I pulled into my driveway. Finally back home. I got out and carefully got Kenzie out of her car seat. Since she's such a light sleeper, she woke up with a little jump. I put her on my hip, and she laid her head down on my shoulder.

"It hurts," she whispered.

"I'll get you some medicine when we get inside, okay?" She nodded, her head still on my shoulder.

I opened the door to my large and quiet house. It seemed so much bigger. I guess I had forgotten how much room we have here. The hospital room was so small. I tried to lay Kenzie down on the couch, but she wouldn't let go of my shirt. I didn't even try to get her off of me. I understood why she had fear. I put her back on my hip, and she whimpered. "What?" I asked quietly.

"It hurts, mommy," she said as tears started to form in her eyes.

"I know, I'm sorry baby." I tried to keep my own tears back. I needed to stay strong for her, to show her that it's going to be okay, but I hated seeing her in so much pain. I set her down on the kitchen counter as I got her medicine ready. She was okay with not being held if I was in the same room as her. I gave her the medicine and a cup of water. She drank the liquid medicine, then the water to get the taste out of her mouth. "Do you want to try and walk back to the couch?" I asked. I figured that she was getting tired of being carried around everywhere. I helped her off of the counter and onto the floor. As soon as she moved a leg in front of her, she cringed. I picked her back up and carried her to the couch. I laid her down with her head on my lap. I turned on the TV and stroked her hair.

"Do I have to talk again in front of my dad?" Kenzie asked frightened.

"No, they found your blood on them. That's enough evidence," I answered. The police told me that Kenzie's blood had made it onto the four men's hands, and they were able to match it when they tested Kenzie's blood.

"How did they find them?" Kenzie asked.

"The police said that they were looking for Mark because he had kidnapped another girl from a different state. I think that was Kennedy. Anyway, they were able to track him down, and the men were asleep in a truck."

"Why were they out there?" She asked.

"I don't know. I don't know why they did a lot of what they did," I answered.

There was a short pause. "Who were those other two guys?" She asked.

"They escaped the jail with your father." The police told me that the other two men helped her father escape, and he promised something in return.