BIRTHDAY GIRL

[ alternatively : party time ! ]

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" ROSALIE HALE SANG DOWN THE PHONE, to the brunette who had yet to still wake properly, face smushed against the pillows  as she held her phone to her ear. The birds had yet to start chirping.

"Thank you." Catalina let a serene smile rest over her face as she turned, head sinking into the pillows  as she turned to look to her windows - the curtains still shut tight as sunlight tickled in around the edges. She could faintly hear the sound of Charlie Swan pottering around the kitchen downstairs, a smile lapsing onto her face at the thought of him in his uniform desperately trying to scrape a somewhat edible breakfast together for the two birthday girls upstairs.

"How does it feel to be eighteen?" Rose questioned, a laugh covering her voice as it trickled through the phone.

"I'm legal now. So brilliant." Cata chuckled lightly,  "Don't ask B that, though." Her thoughts flickered to her twin in the room next door, thousands of jokes flitting through her brain about her sisters incessant fear of growing old.

"You're not prison bait anymore."

"Rose, for the last time. Paul is five months older than me."

"Hmm. Tell that to the law." The blonde goaded, both tumbling into soft laughter.

"What are you doing today?" Cata asked as she pushed herself out of bed, eyes flickering to the mirror in front of her - hand lifting to tame her hair that had knotted in the night.

"Same old, same old. Oh, and planning for Isabella's party tonight.  Are you sure you can't come?"

"Rose, I would. But Nell's got everyone going around to hers  so we can celebrate."

Rose sighed lightly. For a second she wished they were normal. That maybe she could go to the Res and celebrate her closest friends birthday without being ripped to shreds by the wolves. Stupid treaty. "No,  of course. Just thought I'd ask."

"Well, don't have too much fun without me." Cata's eyes flicked to the door handle, smiling as a knock sounded against the wood. "Sorry, Rosie. Got to go. I'll see you soon though?"

"Later, Kitty cat"  Rose smiled once more, before the click sounded to end the call.

"Come in." Cata called lightly, a smile peeking through the gap of her hoodie as she pulled it over her face to her dad who stood with a tray in his hand, a card peeking out from below the mug of coffee he had made her.