GOODBYES

[alternatively: warmth]

THE NEXT FEW DAYS PASSED. It was going to change - even Isabella could feel it. The Cullen's had almost gone radio silent - Rosalie's good morning texts had disappeared along with themselves. Their table now sat silent at lunch, and Bella couldn't help the tickle on the back of her neck; hoping if she looked at the table once more Edward would suddenly appear - swooping in to paint the smile back on her face.

Catalina hadn't said much. Well, nothing that meant anything. But Isabella couldn't help the feeling that she knew more than she was letting on. She'd catch her staring at her sometimes, and Bella swore if she held her breath for long enough a silent apology would worm it's way through the slab on tension sat between them.

It wasn't until almost a week later, and Rosalie Hale was stood in the car park of Forks high school -  beside Cata's red convertible that not a week before she had helped fix.  Catalina's eyes darted behind her, eyes scouring the area for Bella. She couldn't see Rosalie right now. She couldn't take it.

Rosalie Hale waited with baited breath as the Swan girl stalked towards her, eyes barely flitting over the blonde until she reached her car. "Need a lift home?" Her voice was light, almost airy as she spoke to Rosalie. The blonde's brows furrowed, silencing herself as Cata shot her a warning look.

They drove in silence for much of the journey -  Cata's fingers drumming harshly against the wheel. Rose sat, back abnormally straight as she waited for Catalina Swan to speak.

"You're leaving, then?"  She remained light, her voice almost fighting against her throat as she spoke.

Her eyes didn't move from the road, fingers gripping the wheel as she indicated left. "It's for the best."

The car was thick, hot with tension as the girls looked anywhere but at each other. "Don't." Cata spoke softly, her voice turning and it was only then that Rosalie looked to her. She was angry. "Not with me. Please."

"Edward... demands it." Rosalie chose her words carefully. "Carlisle is looking to old for his age. People are starting to notice. Or at least, that's the story." Cata's fingers flexed around the wheel, and Rosalie furrowed her brow as she watched the girl.

"He got involved. He got involved and played with her heart, and now he decides it's for the best?" She asked, the amusement lilting her voice conflicting against the crack that hung over her voice as she said 'her'. "Now is not the time to grow a moral compass."

"He's made up his mind." Rosalie spoke softly, "He's speaking to her now, and he's taking the photographs. The presents. All of it."