THIRD PHASE

[ alternatively : i'm here ]

IT WAS 1:32AM ON THE 12th MAY WHEN CATALINA RECEIVED THE PHONE CALL SHE HAD BEEN DREADING EVER SINCE SHE HAD MOVED BACK TO FORKS. Something had woken her before the shrill ringing of her phone filled the room, her duvet pooling at her waist as she sat up - lungs gasping for breath as her eyes flicked wildly around her room.

Something was wrong.

She winced as her phone rattled against her bedside table, pulling it against her ear as quickly as she could. "Hello?" She breathed into the speaker, hand moving to push her hair from her face.

"Cat, it's Paul." Jared's voice flooded her ears, and she felt her heart drop. "He's phased."

Cata had moved from her bed before he had even finished his sentence - craning her head so he phone was tucked under her skin as she pulled a thick jumper over her head. Her hand scrambled over her desk, looking for the keys she knew she had discarded there the evening previous. "Where are you?"

"At Sam's. He's shifted back." Catalina had always found it easy to read the Cameron boy; eyebrows furrowing at the waver of his voice - the slight hesitation as he mumbled down the phone. Her eyes closed over her keys, and she wasted no time before pushing her way from her room.

"What is it?" Catalina almost snapped before calming herself. He's fine, he's fine. He's fine. "Has something happened-?"

"His dad." Jared breathed heavily. "His dad's in the hospital."

She stopped - her movements ceasing at the top of the stairs. Her heart dropped. "How bad?"

"There was a lot of blood." He sounded scared.

"I'll be there in ten."

"Where in ten?" Catalina whirled round at the sound of the voice, breathe catching in her throat before she realised it was just Bella, her head peaking out from behind her bedroom door. "Is everything okay?"

"Course, B." She pocketed her phone, forcing a smirk pulling over her face. She felt sick. "Cover for me?"

She found herself nodding before she even realised what she was agreeing to. "Where are you going?" Isabella asked as she watched her twin turn back to the stairs; noticing her smile drop as soon as her gaze left Bella's.

"Nowhere important."

Isabella Swan could only watch as she hurried down the stairs, the soft click of the front door following her.