LIFELINE

[ alternatively : james is a bitch ]

"WE NEED TO LEAD HIM IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION - AND IF WE LEAD HIM FAR ENOUGH AWAY FROM THE TOWN I can do the spell then." Catalina spoke with finality as she glanced to Rosalie and Esme who were dressed in Bella's clothes. "Make sure you both run well away from the Res, we don't need the wolves involved in this."

I don't need Paul involved in this.

The Cullen's were shocked at how quickly Cata had taken control of the situation (with a surprisingly good plan), ordering them about like she had been doing this all her life. Which, to be fair, she had for the most part. It had been decided that Emmett would run Catalina ahead while Esme, Rose, Edward and Carlisle would create a trail for James to lead him there.

"You're sort of badass." Emmett spoke lowly as he watched the girl flick through her spell book, her knees folded underneath her in the dirt in the clearing they had found.

"You're only just figuring this out?" Cata mumbled with a coy smile as she craned her neck to look at him when she finally found the page she was looking for. Emmett shrugged in acceptance, moving from where he stood to peer over her shoulders at the open book.

"What fucking language is that?" He asked, his nose scrunching as he tried to decipher the scribbled across the weathered old page.

"Oh, you never took AP Latin? Shame on you." Cata joked, shifting on her knees as her eyes scanned the page. They'd found some weird open clearing in the words, that was just far enough from the city so no one would get hurt. It was sort of really fucking quiet, and the silence was making her feel quite sick.

At the ring of her phone, the sound echoing around the trees like a siren, Cata felt herself jump as her hand desperately searched for the phone in her back pocket.

Paul.

Emmett felt his eyebrows raise as she accepted the call, cradling her mobile against her cheek like it was some sort of fucking lifeline. Was now really the time?

"Cata?" The crackled voice of Paul Lahote traveled down the phone and she felt her shoulders roll back as it filled her ears. "I went back to your house- it was just. It was just your dad? Are you - are you okay?"

Emmett Cullen had to look away as Catalina Swan crumpled before him. She needed to cry, just for a second. Because she was tired of taking charge and everyone looking at her like she was the fucking sun (even if she was) because she just needed everything to be okay - even if it was just for a couple of days. "Baby?" Paul's voice drifted through when he was met with silence, unaware that her knees were digging into the mud and one hand covered her face to stop the tears from running. "Cata. Talk to me."