HOLD ME ?

[ alternatively : it's rotten work ]

THEY'D ESCAPED THE PARTY PRETTY QUICKLY, CATALINA STILL ADJUSTING the straps of her top as they slipped into her car.  He hadn't spoke as she pulled her top back on, or as she handed him his jacket, not even when she offered him her hand for him to follow her downstairs.  He just watched her, focusing on the feel of her hand in his.

She hadn't left him.

"Are you okay to drive?" Paul asked quietly, looking to her as she turned the keys in the engine.  The streetlight above them flooded the  car with a soft orange light, illuminating Cata's face as she looked to him.  Her hair splayed out over her shoulders as she turned to him and he found it difficult to breathe when she looked at him, those green eyes that he knew so well boring into his soul.

She looked like art.

"I only had a beer." She replied softly as the radio sounded. Her hand flew to the dial,   turning down the music that had started, both of them flinching at the sudden noise. It only came as a reminder that there was a world  outside of this car, without them.

The journey to Mariposa's was quiet. Paul's eyes lingered on her face; his head leant against the headrest as he watched the light flicker through the car as they passed by streetlights. The streets of La Push were almost empty in the late hours of the night. It was just them. Paul and Catalina.

And it felt right.

They arrived in front of the quaint house in no time; and Cata frowned when she realised Paul couldn't even bring himself to look at his house that sat on the opposite side of the road. "You have your key?" She asked with a small smile, her hands on the wheel as she leant forward to look into Posie's house which lay silent, all lights switched off.

Paul hesitated; hands hovering over the door handle before it fell back into his lap. "Can you come in?" Catalina looked to him. "I don't want to be alone."

He felt like he couldn't breathe as he waited for her response.

"Yes."

She cut the engine as she fell silent again, unzipping her bag so she could put her keys in. Cata couldn't look at him as she climbed out the car, missing the relieved smile that crossed his face. She'd stay with him. He didn't even have to ask.

Catalina followed him through Mariposa's house, smiling at the pictures of Paul that littered the house. "You want a tea?" He asked almost silently as they reached the kitchen, watching as she took a seat at the table.