DAYDREAMS WITH ME

[ alternatively : babysitting duty ]

"JARED, GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM MY FOOD RIGHT NOW." Catalina glowered as she entered back into the kitchen, phone still gripped in her hand as she looked to the Cameron boy, who's fingers had gone slack on his grip of the muffin that had been set in front of Cata's  chair.

"Was that Nell?" Jared asked innocently, nodding to the phone in the Swan girls hand, already knowing the answer.

Cata sighed, nodding tightly at him as she took her seat again, hand reaching for the muffin. Emily was pottering about in the kitchen behind them, largely keeping to herself as she stirred what Cata guessed to be the fourth batch if muffins that day. She vaguely recalled Emily saying something about taking them to the bonfire that night. "Yeah, Olivia, one of her friends has a free house tonight so she asked if I wanted to go."

"Party?" Jared asked, his eyes pleading with her for any details she could give him. It was a lonely life in the Uley house.

"Not really." Cata tore at the muffin, placing a bite into her mouth. "More get together, think she's going to have a barbecue." Her eyes lifted to rest on Jared, watching his downcast eyes turn to the table. "You're pretty much under control, Jared. Soon, you'll be partying it up like any other teen on the Res."

The smile that crossed Jared's face was bittersweet. Both of them knew nothing would return to how it was. "Can't you come to the bonfire?" Jared whined.

Cata laughed lightly, "Don't be a baby, Jared." A frown fell over her face. "Besides, I can't come anyway. You know the elders don't like me."

"You never said why."

"Witches normally equal bad. Can't blame a man for being cautious." She let a smirk cross her face. "Oh, wait. Yes I can."

Jared laughed, hands clutching his sides as he doubled over in his seat, Cata smirking ruefully as she placed more of the muffin in her mouth. "Why didn't we hang out before?"

"Because you're the icky older brother with cooties." Cata scrunched her nose up, nudging Jared with her foot so he knew he was joking.

"I remember you; all pigtails and mismatching socks."

"Charlie Swan is to blame for that." Cata smiled, holding a teasing finger in his direction. "As you can see," She moved, hiking up the jeans she was wearing, "All matching now."

"Impressive." Jared whistled mockingly.

"Hey, Em?" The woman lifted her head, her hand slowing as she stirred the batter so she could concentrate on the girls words. "When's Sam getting back so I can get rid of this one?"