Chapter 9: The Battle of Manaus

Four days ago, Wednesday, 8 P.M, the port of Manaus, Brazil

Susan and two of her men were badly engaged. Their opponent had the better position and had cornered them in a way blocked by containers which had been put on each other and had created high walls around them. The sound of guns was ear-piercing.

"Piere and Cavali are in bad condition." Susan heard Harris concerned voice in her ear. "They need help, soon."

"Where are they?" asked Susan.

"In the port's office building, first floor. Sus, you have only 15 minutes to defuse the bomb or have of the city would blow up. you should hurry." answered Harris.

"Where is Bishop? Anyone to send for the bomb?" shouted Susan.

"No one at hand. Everyone is highly engaged. The closet groups were you and Piere but the Piere group is now being defeated by a giant. Our EMS has been blocked. Cavali is badly wounded." answered Harris.

"Alright." said Susan and gritted her teeth. Their situation was getting worse and worse. Lives of thousands of people depended on them now. Susan looked up and then brought out her climbing rope that was attached to her clothes. Every GSS man should have this rope, attached to their belt which had a hanger on top of it, so they could easily go down from high heights, but this time Susan wanted to go up instead.

She stood behind the cover of her two men and spun the rope a few times and then threw it up with all of her power. The rope flew like an arrow and circled around a bar that had been come out of the top container.

"Simon, Rose, cover me!" Shouted Susan and then began to climb. The fire of two soldiers down her feet increased instantly to cover their boss.

Susan climbed skillfully and soon she was on top of the containers. She quickly released the rope and it rolled back to its position again fast. She then ran to the beginning of the row they had been traped in and instantly killed the four figures which were shooting Simon and Rose with four shots and then spotted the office building that was not far away. She clasped the rope on another bar again and then went down.

There was a motorcycle left on the ground not far away. Susan threw aside her empty Uzi and ran to it and in less than a minute she was in front of the building.

"Harris! Where are they?" asked Susan when she was in the ruined lobby.

"End of the aisle straight in front of you at right. Sus, Hurry! NOW!" Harris's urgent voice made Susan almost fly to the double door of the aisle.

On her way, she searched for a new magazine for her empty M1911 but found none. "Shit!" she cursed and then threw in and ran to the end of the aisle and turned right and encountered a horrible scene.

A two-meter muscular black man had held almost unconscious Piere in the air by one hand and had aimed his fist to his head, ready to strick. Cavalli was on the ground in a pool of his blood.

"Hey" shouted Susan and attracted the man's attention. He snored and turned his head slowly to his new opponent. He released Piere who fell on the ground like a sack of jelly.

The man smirked and slowly began to run toward Susan. Susan quickly drew her blade and peered into the man's eyes and for a brief second before he reaches her, she saw a glimpse of a desperate soul trapped behind that wild eyes. But it was only a mere second before he reached her.

Susan slide herself from between his legs and quickly stood and hit his back with her leg and immediately winced in pain. His body was like a rock, but her strong and hard kick also made the man to stumble a bit, but that also made him even more angry.

"Susan! 10 minutes to blow up." Harris counter ranged in Susan's ear. The giant ran toward her again. This time she jumped to a side but he quickly took a hold of her feet and knocked her hard to a wall and Susan fell on the ground. Before the dizzy Susan can even detach herself from the ground, he grabbed her throat tightly and held her up in the air.

Susan clenched his tight fist, struggling to send a bit of air in her burning lungs. Hard collision with the wall and being suffocated had made her see dark spots in front of her eyes. Her big mind was in a bad lack of oxygen.

"Sus!" Harris desperate echoed in her mind and that was enough to bring her to the world. She stopped wiggling uselessly and instead pressed a point in the man's neck. He released her instantly and began to cough hard and stepped backward. Susan used the time and took several deep breathes, sat on her four. She then saw Piere's gun and took it and the giant man was dead the next moment with a bullet in his head.

Susan quickly crawled to Cavali. Piere was getting back his conscious and was whimpering, but Cavali was motionless and deadly pale. He has been shot in the chest. Susan quickly took an adrenalin injection tool from his EMS kit and inject it into him. She then took a special bandage made by GSS technical team. it was like a square band-aid. If anyone gets shot and stick one of those bands on the wound, it would stop the blood loss to a good level.

Susan stuck the band on the wound and checked Cavali's heartbeat. "Cavali! Cavali can you hear me?" she called. "Piere?" She called and turned her head to Piere but saw something that froze her blood in her veins.

Piere was on his four throwing up blood. "Harris! EMS!" yelled Susan terrified.

"They will be there in a minute." answered Harris.

Susan helped Piere to lie on his back. He was deadly pale too and was breathing hard.

"Maám!" he said hard.

"Shhhh," said Susan while injecting Adrenaline. "Fight. Don't you dare to leave us. It's an order." she said calmly. Just then she heard footsteps and saw the EMS group running to them.

"Take them and get out of here and away as much as you can. quickly!" she Ordered and then began to run to the other direction knowing well that so many lives depend on defusing the bomb which was in the cellar, capable of blowing up half of the city.

"Harris! How much I've got?" she said While running to the stairs, leading to the cellar. She had taken Piere's gun and had it ready on her hand.

"4 minutes." answered Harris. "You must get out of there." he said with worry laced to his voice.

"Send everyone out of the port. now!" ordered Susan and turned off her microphone to shut down Harris protest. A counter was ticking in her mind.

In less than two minutes she had found the bomb in the cellar full of boxed of ammonium and TNT all connected to a fuse on the ground. Susan was an expert in defusing bombs herself, but still, it was a very stressful task, knowing that she had the lives of thousands of people in her hands.

2 minutes had remained. Susan looked around the fuse calmly and soon found a USB port showing that they had used a computer to start it. Now it was her realm. She quickly took out her mini-tablet and connected it to the bomb and with typing a few commands, successfully hacked the bomb program and defused it when only 40 seconds had remained.

When she made sure that the fuse is not connected to any switches or cables, She lied down on the hard and cold floor and took a few deep breaths. Her whole body was aching. After a moment she turned on her earphone and immediately welcomed by Harris angry curses. "YOU DAMN WOMAN! YOU TOOK THE SHIT OUT OF ME." he shouted.

"Shut up, Harris!" said Susan weakly. "I'm tired to my toes."

"The perimeter is safe. Bishop is coming to you. They had gone out of the port." Said Harris obviously knowing that what a burden was on her shoulders.

"The cameras are all down. It seems someone turned their power off just before you enter the cellar and I couldn't see you anymore and you had turned off your damn earphones ..." he stopped when he heard Susan's groan. "Alright! You were great by the way." said Harris with appreciation.

"How many casualties?" asked Susan worried for her people. "no dead. But 10 wounded. Piere and Cavali are in bad condition, but they are alive." said Harris.

"Alright, John. Thank you." said Susan and then saw the beams of light and heard Bishop's strong voice calling her name.