Chapter 7: Mathias Herald

2 P.M, Sali, Algeria

Susan had sat on an unsteady chair outside of a very small and primary market located in the main street of Sali. She and Vincent had a light lunch, a sandwich with potato and other vegetables, and then Vincent had gone to look around and find a man who was offering the job.

 Susan was drinking a frizzing coke. She was not a fan of this kind of drinking but it helped her to cool down. She hated the heat.

The old owner of the market came out with another coke tin. He smiled warmly and offered the coke. Susan smiled and refused the tin. "شكرا جزيلا. (thank you.)" She thanked him in Arabic. "عندي سؤال. لقد سمعت عن رجل يقدم وظيفة رائعة. أين يمكنني أن أجده? (I have a question. I've heard of a man who offers a great job. Where can I find him?)" 

The old man made a disgusted look. "هذا الرجل القذر. (That filthy man.)" he said angrily. "أنا حقا أنصحك بعدم الذهاب بعده. إنه خطير. ولكن إذا أصرت السيدة ، يغادر في شقة في الشارع. رقم 25. (I really recommend you not to go after him. He is dangerous, but if the lady insists, he leaves in a house down the street. Number 25.)"

"شكرا مرة اخرى. (thank you again.)" said Susan and then paid for her lunch and drinks and even a bit more and then left the very happy owner who thanked her lots of times. 

She slowly walked down the street until she saw number 25 from afar. It was a house with two floors. The front door was closed. She walked away and turned into the first alley. Number 25 seemed to be a big house. 

Susan walked around the house and found the back door. It was locked with a big metal lock. Susan pressed a tiny button on the handle of her sunglasses. Immediately her view changed into a thermal view. 

It was afternoon and the wall and the door were in the shade so they were not that hot. She could see beyond the walls thanks to the strength of the lenses. The door seemed to lead to a warehouse and no sign of men could be seen. 

Susan looked around. No cameras, no watchers, and no passengers. She pulled out a pin from her jean's pocket and easily unlocked the door. She pulled out her gun which was hidden under her shirt and pushed open the door. 

The door opened with a mild sound to the house's messy warehouse. She went in and closed the door behind her. There was a little door on the other side of the room. Susan went to it. No sign of human heat could be seen on the other side too. She opened the door and stepped into the dark aisle behind which was under the stairs. 

She could hear voices from the upper floor. She slowly went further. A few doors were on the aisle, but most of them were closed or were opening to empty rooms. She reached the stairs and began to climb. As she climbed up the voices grew stronger. She quickly and soundlessly went up and reached the second floor. A few rooms were in right and left of that aisle too and one in front of her with its door slightly open. A ray of light had fallen into the aisle from the gap it had made. 

The dreadful smell of cigarettes had filled the floor. Voices were coming from that room. Susan quickly went further. She could see a sign of a big man in a room next to the main room. Vincent.

 "I'm going to find something to drink. This room has become like a sauna and you two, come with me." Said a loud voice and Susan saw a shadow coming to the door of the front room. She ran and fearlessly jumped into the room which she had seen Vincent in it and closed the door.

 Vincent had his M1911 aimed at her head. When he saw her, he lowered his hand and walked to her side.

Three men passed the aisle and Susan saw their heat signs disappeared down the stairs. "Now only one must remain in the room. He must be Mathias Herald." Susan heard Vincent whisper. She looked into the room. He was right. Only one man was in the room sitting behind a desk it seemed. "How much more?" Susan whispered back. "Only that man and the two Algerians who went down. The house is empty." Answered Vincent.