Chapter 11: finding the ghost

Friday, 8 A.M, GSS main base, England

"We found him!" Harris' excited voice echoed in Susan's ear. She ran out of her office and toward the Harris throne. Bishop and Angi, one of her high-rank captains, were already there. 

Harris stood and walked to the hovering screen. "He is in Galați, Romania." He said and an image appeared on the glass screen. "It is taken by a traffic camera, 4 hours ago."

"Something is off about this photo." Growled Angi. The man in the image was definitely Vasily Zaytsev with a shopping bag full of groceries. His face was so calm and you could say happy and that was odd, for the Zaytsev they knew was always grim. "He has become soft. Maybe he had lost his memory when he had fallen." Added Angi.

"Any faked identity?" asked Bishop. "Well, That's the part you can't believe." Said Harris. "Adrian Popescu. He has a little café in the city. And here is the most amazing part. Spouse name, Daira Popescu."

The three stared at Harris, shocked. "Did you not killed him in Romania?" asked Angi who wasn't in GSS five years ago. Bishop nodded. "Yes. We searched every inch of that country but we didn't find a sign." He said.

"Harris!" said Susan who was silently watching Zaytsev's image. Everyone turned to her. "Prepare a bird. I want to take off in less than 30 minutes. I will take Will and Scott with myself. Tom, Angi, you two will come too." She said and then spun on her heels and went out of the main floor. There was one thing in her mind, Zaytsev's smile.

***

Friday, 10 P.M, Daira café, Galați, Romania 

Susan had sat on a table by the front window in a restaurant in front of Daira café. Zaytsev had named his café after his wife. Susan had watched his café for hours in complete silence. In fact, she had not talked much after hearing news of Zaytsev. Her team had been positioned to prevent Zaytsev from fleeing. 

Susan had rejected to arrest him right away. Somehow she knew that Zaytsev was not the person in camera records in the Port of Manaus. Angi had gone into the café as a customer and had put a spy camera in a corner. Susan had the view of the inside on her phone. 

Great changes had happened for Zaytsev. They had seen poor people who went in and took food without paying. He had even given money to some of them. Bishop and Angi believed that he is playing a role, but Susan doubted. There was a light of happiness in his eyes that couldn't be fake.

Slowly, the Daira café became empty and Zaytsev began to turn off the lights. Susan stood, paid for her table, and went out of the little restaurant that she was in and crossed the street. She opened the front door of Daira café. A bell rang. Susan went in and closed the door. 

It was a lovely little café which had been decorated well with wooden chairs and tables, little lanterns and plants. 

"Cu ce vă pot ajuta? (how can I help you?)" asked a deep voice from behind the counter and a blonde head slowly came out from behind it. It was Zaytsev who had a smile on his calm face. He raised his eyes and their eyes locked for the first time after five years. 

No changes appeared on his face except his smile which grew a little wider. "I don't think you would believe me if I tell you that I have lost my memory, Agent Grays." He said.

"Well," Said Susan and gazed around. "with these changes maybe I would have believed."

The two were silent for a moment, just staring at each other. Then Zaytsev moved. He grabbed his coat from under the counter and came out while putting on his coat. "I was going home. Do you want to come there so we can talk?" he asked.

Susan tilted her head aside. "Are you not afraid that I arrest or kill you right away?" she asked.

Zaytsev smirked and for a brief second, Susan saw the light of mischief back into his eyes. "Come on, agent Grays. Your team must have surrounded this building for hours now. One of them came in the noon and put on a little spying camera here. If you wanted to kill me, you could have done it sooner." He said and went to the door and kept it open. 

"Won't you come?" asked Zaytsev and kept the door open. Susan walked slowly and went out of the café. 

"Sus! We can't trust him." Susan heard Bishop's voice in her ear but she ignored it. something about this new Zaytsev had made her trust him.

Zaytsev turned off the remaining lights, came out and locked the café, and pulled down the Shutters. "This way. You must know that my home is not far from here. I usually walk." He said and gestured to the right. They began to walk. Zaytsev put his hands in his pockets. 

"we are following you, boss." Susan heard Angi's voice through her earphone. 

"Do as you want, sus, but remember one thing. I don't trust this guy." Said Bishop. 

Susan followed Zaytsev and after passing a few streets Zaytsev stopped in front of a small but beautiful house. Its garden was full of beautiful flowers which were shining under the lights of the house, coming through the windows.

Zaytsev opened the fence gate and went in. He unlocked the front door and stepped in. "Honey!" called Zaytsev while taking off his shoes. "You are late. You might have lost my fantastic dinner." Said a feminine voice aloud with a thick accent and just a few seconds later a woman came out of the kitchen. She was beautiful. Her blonde hair was long and straight and had framed her small face. She looked slim and beautiful in her pink dress and white apron. She saw Susan and her eyes grew wide from fear. 

Zaytsev went and hugged her and kissed her forehead. "Is she ...?" asked his wife lowly. "Yes," said Zaytsev and turned to Susan with a smirk on his face. "This is Agent Grays. The one who almost killed me five years ago."