Chapter 22: Fall of an Empire

Wednesday, 01:00 A.M, the hidden door of fortress, Olderdale, Norway

Zaytsev and so many other captains and men of GSS entered through the now open gate of the fortress and was using the surprise of the explosion to clean and open their way to lower levels and to Susan Grays. 

They still could remember her words back in GSS temporary base.

"But this is so optimistic to say we will reach the fourth floor," said Susan. "They know we will attack. I'm sure they expect us tonight. So we can't reach where we want easily. We must attack from outside too. Before we attack a new group will arrive from GSS base in Denmark. I want you to use our invisible cloaks, come near the hidden gate from the dirt road and explode the hidden gate which we found first. The gate is just a level below the main control room and just above the labs. They will take us as hostages. I want Clark to feel safe. They may take our gadgets, so I will attach a secret microphone on my clothes so Harris can hear my signal for the C team to attack. The explosion is a signal for the rest. With high probability, they will gather the rest of the hostages in one place. The explosion must be a signal for you. Have tools to open your probable bands. You have been trained for this kind of situation. Use the moment of surprise and release yourself and take the control of your level. I trust you. The team should open their way to where I am."

It doesn't take long for GSS force to open their way inside and cleaned the garage, but the number of guards was too much in there, preparing for evacuation and they were not that naive and unprepared. Soon GSS force was blocked. 

Zaytsev skillfully passed the block and entered the aisle behind the garage and ran to the staircases. His heart was beating happily. Happy to use his old skills once more, seeing that he is still like a shadow. Just as he reached the staircase he saw Grays at the end of the aisle, running toward the staircase from the opposite side. 

She threw away the weapon that was in her hands. Zaytsev passed the staircase and ran to her. "Your men are behind us cleaning the way." he said and when Susan reached him and stopped.

 "Good." said Susan and held out her hand. "Any weapons? I should go after Clark quickly."

Zaytsev took out a knife and put it in her hand. "better than nothing." said Susan and shrugged. "I lost my colt." apologized Zaytsev. Just as they were talking and had reached the staircase the doors of an elevator right behind Zaytsev and in front of the staircase opened and the fake Zaytsev jumped out. 

***

Susan, Bishop, and Angi used the chance that the explosion had given to them and the three guards were on the ground in a moment. The emergency power was on and the light was back.

 "You stalled too much." said Angi who was rubbing her now open wrists. 

Susan looked around. Clark was not there. "I will go after Clark. That information must not be sent." she said while taking the gun of one of the guards and began to run to the doors with now armed Angi and Bishop right behind her. "Go down and help others. Take them out." she ordered before running out and to the staircase.

Susan opened her way to the next floor. She had encountered a few guards before the staircase and on it and her gun was now empty. She had just reached the next floor when she saw Zaytsev running toward her. With one look she understood that he is the real one. 

"Your men are behind us cleaning the way." he said when he reached her. 

"Good." said Susan and held out her hand. "Any weapons?"

Zaytsev took out a knife and put it in her hand. 

"better than nothing." said Susan and shrugged.