Chapter 1- All mine

Prolouge- 3 years eailer.
"Kory, wake up." Someone was gently shaking me.

I flailed an arm put in attempt to leave. "Ugh. Go away," I groan.

"I'm not going away."

"What time is it?"

"Three in the morning."

Despite my annoyance I open my eyes. "Why?"

John, my brother, who was three yeats older, stood next to my bed. He had a slight smirk on his face. With a scowl I guestured for him to explain.

"You told me to wake you up when Amber gets ready to foal."

"Amber is foaling?!" I jumped out of my bed and threw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. As I went to walk out John grabbed my arm.

"Your going to need a jacket. It's chilly."

Rolling my eyes I walk back over and grab my favorite hoodie. It's brown and says Born To Be Free across the front in blue.

"Let's go."

I put on my boots and we head to the barn. The air is chilly and the sky is a beautiful dark blue with all the stars visible.

The barns light are on and the huge front double sliding doors are cracked a little. As we get close to the entrance I hear my father mumbling, talking to someone I assume.

We slide through the doors and John shuts the them behind us quietly. I hear Amber thump a bit inside our largest stall. I walk to her.

Amber is a little 14.3 hh horse. She is only 11 years old and has already had a successful show career as a cutting horse. One of the only horses we own who loves working with cattle. She is one of my dad's favorites, and if I must admit, she is mine, too.

I turn and leave her to find my brother. He is pulling out the spare cots we keep here in case we need to watch one of the horses, or a stable hand that doesn't live here that needs a place to stay.

"Do you need help?" I asked.

"Uh...yeah. Take these and I will go grab some blankets."

He hands me the cots. "Ok."

I go and set up our temporary beds in the stall next to Amber's, against the opposite wall. John comes back in and lays some blankets on the cots and sets a pillow at the top of each. I notice there is only two. 

"What about dad?" I asked.

John looks at me. "He won't stay out here. He has to be up early." And he thinks this foal is worthless. But I don't say that.

"Oh."

I lay back on the cot and pull the blanket up to my chest. I must have dozed off because John was once again shaking me awake.

"She's about to foal, Kory. Get up" he says.

Groggily, I jump up and peek into the stall next to us. Ambers dappled coat was all sweaty and her sides were heaving. She's goes to lay down on her side and I know the baby will be here soon.

I didnt have to wait long before I can see the hooves, then the legs and head. The shoulders take longer but soon I can see them, too. All sense of time blends together. The foal is almost here. I can't wait!

Eventually, the foal completely arrives. My foal is here! Both mare and foal take a few minutes to rest, before Amber decides to stand. The foal tries to follow but it can't seem to get his legs to work. As he tries to rise, they buckle and he looks around confused. I laugh.

Finally, he understands how his his legs work and stumbles over to his mom and starts to suckle. As he does, Amber licks him clean. I look closer...it's a girl! Amber had a little filly and she will be mine.

All mine.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An: I know this story is a little rough in the beginning but please give it a chance it gets better after 3-4 chapters.