Chapter 5- New Person

I woke up to the sound of horses calling out for their breakfast and my dad laughing in the kitchen. I leave my warm, comfy bed and make my way down the hallway.

"Good Morning, sweetie," my mother says when she sees me.

I give her a small smile. "Morning."

"How was yesterday? Was she any good?"

"Yeah, actually. She did great at barrels. Got first. But poles could use work, and we just completely blew speed and control."

"So, you messed up her good name?" Dad asked.

"What? No!" I say strained. "Did you not hear me? We got first in barrels. I think I may have found something she's good at and wants to do."

He just looks at me. "But that is not what we do here, remember."

"That doesn't matter." I wave a hand at him, "We should. I should be able to show in whatever I want. Contest events, rodeos, western or english pleasure, it doesn't really matter."

"Yes, it does," he says.

"But why?" I question. I'm genuinly curious for his reasoning.

He calmly stared at me. "I did not work for this place to be a crazy mess of different disciplines. This place is for pleasure bred horses. Not rodeo horses."

"But John is able to compete in rodeo events."

"He also owns that horse." He shrugs.

"But that horse is bred and raised by us! He's competing under our name." Anger begins to seep into my words.

"I'm done." I stomp back to my room and slam my door behind me. I refuse to get into another huge argument with him.

I can here mom scolding Dad. Probably along the lines of how I should be able to have more freedom with our horses to do what I want.

I dig through my clothes and grab a clean pair of jeans and a dark grey t-shirt that has the sleeves cut off. I don't really want to go back out but I need a shower. Well, kind of need a shower. They won't mind too much if I skip it...I did shower before the rodeo.

I slip on my clothes and head to the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror, which I don't do often. My blonde hair is a little crazy and I have a hard time running the brush through it. My green eyes stare back at me. Mom says that I look more like dad but with blonde hair, not brown. Although, I do have natural brown highlights.

I brush my teeth and head back out into the hallway. Dad is still here, but I take a chance and walk back to the kitchen.

He watches me walk through the kitchen and out the front door. I don't bother eating breakfast since I missed the bell, so I head straight to the barn.

"Hey. Good Morning, Clayton."

"Morning. It took you long enough to wake up."

I laugh, "I was up late."

Clayton has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. He has started working for us this summer and honestly, I'm glad he lives with us on the ranch here. It gives me someone to talk to.

Clayton's parents don't own a ranch, but a little house with a barn where they keep a few chickens and a donkey. They live 20 minutes away and sometimes they will come here and stay a few days. Other times he will drive there.

Clayton bumps me with his shoulder. "So, I've heard."

"Hey! What does that mean?" He just gives me this look and I just groan. "He's my brother, Clay!"

"Not all the guys there."

I shove him hard and he puts his hands up in surrender. "Ok, ok. You win. But one day we will all have to worry about that."

"Right," I chuckle. " So, anyway, how's Bandit?"

"He's good. He loves the ranch work."

"That's good."

Bandit is Clayton's horse that he brought with him when he came . Bandit is a 15 year old bay quarter horse gelding and is the biggest sweetheart.

"Well, I got to go work." he says.

"Ok, see you around then."

"Yup. See ya."

I go to walk to the back, to the last stall, but I stop myself.

"She will not be in there," I repeat to myself softly. I turn around and almost run out. I collide with someone's chest. "oof."

Hands grab my upper arms to steady me. "Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry..." I begin. I look up and see a unfamiliar face and push away.

"Are you alright?" He questions.

"Uh..yeah. I haven't seen you before, are you visiting?" I ask.

"Uh, no, Mr. Reefers gave me a job here," he holds out his hand to shake, "my name is Isaak."

I shake his hand. "Kory. Kory Reefers."

Isaak has dark hair and blue eyes. He is perfectly toned and is only a couple of inches taller than me.

"Do you happen to be looking for my dad?"

He shakes his head. "No, I'm looking for John. Your dad told me he would show me around."

"Oh...um, he should be over by the corral. They are probably going to head out soon."

"Where are they headed?"

"We have a few horses that are not currently needing work or anything of the such, so they are headed out to the big pasture."

"Oh, nice."

I spot John. "Hey, John," I call out. "Isaak is here."

"Perfect timing. Come on, Isaak, I have everything you need over here." Isaak calls a "see you later" over his shoulder and jogs after John.

I head to the paddock and watch the horses graze, waiting for them to get back. I need to ask John if I can come on the check up routine. I look around. It looks like no one is getting ready to leave and I know they will be leaving soon.

I shrug my shoulders and eye the horses who are out. Hhmm. I don't think they would mind if I took Mattie, my cousin's horse. She needs the work, anyway.

Back in the barn I grab her pale green halter and lead and retrieve her. I put her in the cross ties in the bathing stall. I brush her until her bay coat shines and then head to get her tack.

By the time I'm done tacking her up, the boys walk in.

"Hey, why are you tacking up Mattie?" John asks me.

"Oh..um..well. I thought I could go with you to do the check-up." I stutter out. My confidence gone when I notice Isaak with him.

"Oh, ok. Well, that actually makes this work out perfectly." He turns to Isaak, "come one I'll show you the horse you can borrow for now."

When I walk out of the barn both boys have a saddled horse and a lunch.

"What? Don't I get a lunch?" I complain.

John tosses me my lunch and says, "quit your complaining." I fake a pout and he cracks a smile. " C'mon let's go."

"Alright."

We mount up and head out to the back of the ranch to the west.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Authors note: Thank you to everyone whose has read my story. I try hard to make sure it is something good. Please let me know what you think and what I could do to improve. :)
Again thank you so much.
Until later, see ya. *waves*