Chapter 9 - Camp

By the time we get there it's 12 and we are starving and ready for lunch. We dismount nearby, close to a tree where we could tie the horses. It felt good to be able to stretch out a bit. I laugh as Isaak gets down from the saddle stiffly and almost wobbles over.

"Isaak, I thought you rode?" I tease, but truthfully I was a little sore, too. He just glares at me. "Ok, then. You can have the easy part then."

"The easy part?"

I nod, "Yup. I unsaddle the horses. You will set up camp."

"But I don't want the easy part," he protests. "I'm not a little girl like you."

I turn around real quick. "Oh, yeah. And who actually had the balls to come out here and get this crazy horse?"

"I came out here, too. I didn't have to come." He did have a point.

I don't say anything and just turn and begin to untack. Mattie lets out a huge sigh, and she dozes off as I untack the other horse. Then I brush them down with the few brushes I brought. I untie them and lead them down to the small stream that I knew ran by here. One reason why I chose this spot. It was far enough away to let the others come down with out a problem, but close enough so we could take our horses down for a drink.

When I come back up I notice Isaak only had lunch ready with the sandwiches out and ready to eat. We don't talk as we eat and when we finish I decide to explore the area a bit, just leaving Isaak there. I walk down the stream and test my knowledge on the tracks that are in the mud. I see, obviously horse prints, but also fox, coyote, and various birds. I look at my phone and notice that I have been walking for hour. I look up at the sky and decide to head back.

Isaak was nowhere to be seen, so I decided to finish setting up camp. I chose a good spot with not too many rocks, and the ones there I moved. I pull a blue tarp out of my saddle bag and lay it out. Unrolling my sleeping bag I lay it on top of the tarp. I debate on getting Issak's sleeping bag set up, too. I shrug and go for it. Grabbing it I begin to unroll that as well.

"What are you doing?"

I roll my eyes, "What does it look like I'm doing? I'm helping you. And this way we won't have to worry about setting it up in the dark." I pause. "Where were you?"

"Out and about. You just left me, so I decided to explore on my own."

"You could've came. I wouldn't gave minded."

He raised an eyebrow, "oh."

"Yes, now go get some wood, okay?"

He just shrugs and starts looking for good fire wood. While he does that I finish laying out the sleeping bag and begin to make a circle out of rocks to put the fire. I bring a few up from the edge of the stream and place them a few feet from our "camp". Isaak dumps some some sticks into the middle of it.

"You got the stuff to light it right?" I ask him.

"You didn't get the stuff?"

I get an uneasy feeling. "You mean you didn't get it. How are we suppose to light this."

"Don't look at me."

"You were the one who was suppose to bring it!"

"But I didn't!"

"Isaak! I'm gonna kill you!" I growl.

"I know, I know," he says and holds his hands up. I groan. "I'm just messin with you. I brought it." I pick up one of the sticks and throw it at him.

"Hey, there was no need for that."

I roll my eyes. "Just go get the stuff already."

We light the fire as dusk settles in. I shiver. The air is getting cooler and I didn't bring a jacket. I get up to go get the sandwiches for dinner. Isaak stands up, too.

"Wait, I brought something else for dinner." He goes to his bag and gets out a box and a few packages. "I brought hot dogs and s'mores. If you want some."

"That's so much better than a sandwich." I say. We sit back down after we find a good stick to roast the goods on. I get a hot dog and push the stick threw it.

"So, Isaak, why did you come out here to the ranch?"

"I was looking for a job. And this is what I have been doing my whole life, until we had to move to a smaller property. I miss the farm life."

"Oh, and you are friends with my brother?" I put my hot dog on a bun and take a bite.

"Not really friends. We just know each other from school. I can't believe you sit on a bus for an hour everyday to and from school. That's crazy."

I shrug. "It's not too bad really. Sure, we have to wake up an hour earlier and get home an hour later than you do. But mom wants us to have an education, so we just learn to deal with it."

"Oh, I would think you would just be home schooled."

"We were for a while but she didn't have much time for school. She has to feed the stable hands and do bills, and the likes."

"I know how rough that can be. Leaving our ranch for that reason was one of the hardest things. I miss all the open land. And Ranger, my horse, hates not having to much room run."

"Are you bringing Ranger here?" I Dinah off my hot dog and leant head back to look at the sky.

"Yeah, your father said I could as long as I work for the board and my place to stay."

I yawn. "Cool, well, I think I'm going to bed, it's already," I look at my phone," jeez, it's already 11 and tomorrow is going to be a long day."

"I might as well go to bed, too." We both get up and unzip our sleeping bags. I climb in and he does too. I listen to his breathing and I think I feel his arm come around me at some point. All I know is I feel calm and relaxed, and fell right to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An: so what do you think? So you think Isaak has a thing for Kory or Kory has a thing for Isaak?
I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but Kory is 17 and Isaak is 18.
What do you think will happen next?

I'm sorry for updating so late at night, but school is getting a little crazy with end of the year testing so I only have time at night to write.

Thank you soooo much for reading. Please vote and comment.

See you later, guys.