Chapter 14- Out

The barn is fairly quiet, with only a few horses making sounds as they eat the rest of their hay.
The sky is still dark and I'm the only one awake.
I make my way to the tack room and grab Grey's light blue halter.

Slowly, I make my way to the paddock Dad has made me put Grey in. She stands in the middle with her head low as she sleeps. A small smile comes to my lips as I climb over the fence. Her halter accidentally hits against it making noise. Her head jerks up a little and her ears swivel towards me.

"Sorry, girl," I whisper.

I make my way towards her and sit on the ground by her head. She blows out heavily making me smile, and I run my hand softly over her velvety nose. I'm so glad she's mine.

I grab her halter that I laid beside me and slip it up over head. I stand up, kiss her on her forehead and lead her out the gate to the barn.

Grey is still a little spooky but she trusts me enough now to know I won't hurt her. She does hesitant as I lead her into a stall but once I get her in and close the door behind her she seems to calm down. I go and grab her a small cup of grain from the feed room.

As she eats her grain I brush her down, humming a tune to myself. Slowly, I begin to saddle her; she hardly flinches. I carefully lead her out to the arena.

I haven't ridden her yet, but this past month she has improved so much that I think she would be alright if I just sit on her. I tighten the girth a little and lead her to the mounting block. Slowly and carefully I wiggly the saddle before I place my foot in the stirrup and swing my other leg over.

I have no time to prepare myself before Grey takes off. She bucks and twists, and I scramble trying to get more of a grip on the reins to pull her head up. She bucks the same time I lose my stirrups. I lose my rhythm and grip, flying off her side against the fence.

I groan and try to move, but someone rushes to my side making me stop. Slowly, they roll me onto my back. I see Issak's worried face. His lips are moving like he is talking but I can't hear him. He checks me over to see if anything major was wrong.

"Don't move. I'll be right back," he says kinda loudly before he runs off. I struggle to stay awake, but the darkness quickly takes over.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Issak's P.o.V

I quickly catch her horse and untuck her leaving her in the arena and her tack by the gate. I rush back to her side and notice she's not moving.

I check for her pulse; shes alive, just unconscious. I carefully lift her up into my arms, and not knowing where else to take her, I take her back to my cabin. Thankfully, no else is awake to see me carrying her.

I lay her carefully on my bed and ponder what I need to do. Most ranch hands must know this kind of stuff, and I am no different. I gently place a spare pillow under her legs and walk to my mini kitchen and grab a wash cloth from underneath the sink. I run it through cool water and fold it a couple of times.

Gently I place the cool cloth on her forehead. My eyes sweep over her pale face. What was she doing getting on that crazy horse? Did she forget it never had a saddle on her before and that she was roaming free just a month ago? I shake my head. This girl is something else.

Her eyes flutter open and she moans. "W-where am I? Isaak?"

"Your in my cabin," I say softly. "You got knocked unconscious when your horse threw you into the fence."

"Grey threw me?" I nod to her question.

She just nods her head back and closes her dark hazel eyes. A really gorgeous hazel, actually. Blue to green to a gold brown make her eyes look beautiful.

She opens her eyes once more and stares at me. We hold the eye contact before she looks away and removes the cloth from her forehead. I take it from her hands and walk it back to the sink.

"You can stay here for a bit if you want. I don't mind." I tell her.

"But don't you share this cabin? I don't want to get in the others way."

"Nope. Only me. And occasionally your friend when he gets kick out of his for being to loud."

She lightly laughs. "Sounds like him." I just smile.

"Wait? What about Grey? Doesn't she still need untacked?" She's ask as she starts to sit up.

"No, I took care of it for you."

"Oh. Thank you." She leans back again.

We fall into a silence that is neither awkward nor comfortable. She takes her time look around the cabin and I watch her. I make my way towards her and she snaps her eyes to me. I reach down and gently lift her legs and remove the pillow and place it behind her. I stand up straight again and before I can walk away she stops me.

"Come here," she says. And she pulls me into a hug. "Thank you." She whispers into my ear.

I don't have a response so I just pull away trying to control my thumping heart. Thankfully, the breakfast bell rings.

"Well, I should get going."

For some reason she blushes. I find it cute.

"But I never see you at breakfest."

"I know," I say and then I walk out the door towards the barn.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kory's P.o.V.

I look around again and sigh. Not really wanting to leave I cozy myself into his blankets. They smell like horses, and like woods, and outside. Like him, I guess. I study the ceiling to keep myself from falling asleep.

I don't know how long I lay there, but I know it was long enough to say I missed breakfast. I climb out from under the blankets and stand. I'm a bit dizzy at first but it fades. His covers are all messed up from where I was, so I remake his bed. I look around for some paper and a pen.

I spot a note pad on the dresser and a pen beside it. I flip to a clean page and write out a thank you, and the date, and place it back on the dresser. The door shuts behind me and I make my way to my house.

I look into the mirror and notice how awful I look. I have a few scrapes on my head and my hair is a mess. Slowly, I lift up my shirt noticing the large bruise that I acquired when I slammed into the fence. It covers almost my entire side and has a couple of bleeding scratches. The pain is hardly there now but I know later in the day it will hurt like hell.

I dampen a wash cloth and carefully wipe all the cuts clean. I splash water on my face and brush my hair out before french braiding it.

"Hey, Kory! Hope on!" I look over to see Clayton in the bed of the pickup. I jog across the yard and hop in, settling myself down next to him.

"Where we headed?"

He points towards the pastures to the east. "Fixin' some of the front fences." I just nod and enjoy the 10 minute ride knowing that there is a lot of work to be done. As always.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An: Sooo, what do you think?? I feel quite proud of this chapter. Don't know why but I do.

Do you like the picture of Clayton? I can"t remember if I described him or not, so I found a picture that should clear things up. It doesn't really fit with whose in this chapter but, oh well.

Other thing I just found this picture on Pinterest, so it's not mine.

Please comment what you think and vote. :)
Make a great day!
Bye-bye.