Chapter 10 - caught

When I woke up I wanted to do nothing more than burrow back down in the blankets and sleep. I was extremely comfy. I leaned against the wall behind me and shifted the weight that was on my hip. My eyes close and I'm almost asleep again when the wall shifts and groans. The weight on my hip is removed and the warmth moves away. My eyes snap open. I was sleeping with Isaak. I push myself away.

Standing up I look down to see Isaak just waking up. His blue eyes are cloudy from sleep and his dark hair is all messy. My heart beats a little faster. I look away and begin to restart the fire. It takes him a few minutes before he joins me. We sit in silence.

"Want s'mores for breakfast?" He asks, breaking the silence.

"Uh...yeah, sure. I love s'mores."

"Ok." He gets the marshmallows and four gram crackers ready, with chocolate of course. Yet again we sit and eat in silence. When I'm done, I stand and stretch, yawning.

"Isaak I have to pee. Don't follow me," I say and walk off.

"I wasn't planning, too." He grumbles.

When I return he has cleaned up the sleeping bags and trash. I pull out my phone and see it was about 9. "So, what's the plan today?" Isaak asks.

"We get the horse," I say, or more like ask.

He rolls his eyes. "I mean, how are we going to get this horse."

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe if we are able to both get a lasso around it's neck we could sedate it or something?"

"How are we suppose to sedate it. We have to a vet do that right?"

"I know how. I'm studying to be a vet and do it all the time. And besides it's a dart, not a up close shot. This is only a back up source if comes to it. Which probably won't happen."

"Oh, ok." He stops talking.

"So..." I begin.

"Sooo....." he repeats.

"Let's finish packing up camp and then we can leave and begin looking for the horse."

"Alright."

We finish and put everything back into the saddle bags. Thankfully it's not a whole lot of stuff and is not too heavy. We mount up and set out walking around the edge of the herd by the fence. I went on one direction while Isaak went the other way. I didn't see anything unusual.

"Hey!" I hear a shout "Kory! Come look!" I follow his voice and find him in the thick underbrush.

"What are you doing in there? Your on the other side of the fence?" I question. "How'd you even get over there? And where's your horse?"

"I tied him down the way a bit. I walked up. But look, it's a frequently used trail. If we follow this we might be able to find how this horse gets in."

We searched around for awhile and was unable to find anything else. Just as I was about to suggest giving up I heard the sound of hooves. I looked down towards the horses and saw a white blur run right at them.

"Isaak!" I yell as I hop onto Mattie and squeeze my legs against her side. I notice Isaak behind me. You could see the grey horse greeting the others, as if he does this all the time. He actually  probably does.

The herd begins to move, slowly increasing their speed and by the time we get there, their already loping. I ask Mattie to go a bit faster. We approach the front of the herd and I see the grey horse up close for the first time and I realize it's a she. She's all muscle and power as she easily keeps the fast pace going.

I fumbled for the lasso on my saddle horn, and prepare to throw it. Just as I got ready to let it loose, a rope settled around her neck. I turn and glare at Isaak as he tightens the rope onto his horn, and pulls the mare to the side, slowing her down. Thankfully, she was far enough ahead that it didn't cause a problem for the other horses or us.

The mare is fighting hard and when I get the chance, I throw my rope over neck to help. She pulls hard and I worry for a second on how we will get her back. I start talking to her.

"Hey, sshh. I'm not going to hurt you. In fact we are trying to help you. Protecting you from all those men tryin to hunt you down." She relaxes. "Good girl. You look like you used to belong to someone. Did you belong to someone?"

The mare stopped fighting for some odd reason and in that split second I was able to lean across and slip the halter on over her head. She didn't seem to mind it and slowly slipped into what seemed like old habits. The lassos came off over her head and were wrapped back up quickly.

She stood there breathing hard as I look to Isaak on what we should do next.

"Well, we could probably head back now.....she is really calm."

"Yeah," I agree. We begin to head back with the mare obediently following. Grey and her look soo similar. Maybe, just maybe, this is my horse.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An: I'm so sorry it took forever for me to get this out. I've have soo much homework for my end of course test. I'll try not take as long on the next part but no promises.

So what do you guys think? I am really liking how this is coming out. Thank you for reading and voting. It means a lot.

Until later, bye-bye.