Chapter 12- Vet visit

When I approach the round pen Grey's ears prick towards me.

"Hey, girl. I can't sleep." I say tiredly. The sky is already dark with the stars showing. The night is cool and feels great compared to the heat of the day. I sit in front of the gate putting the book I had in my hand on my lap. "I thought I would read to you. Cause you know, why not? I brought 'The Scorpio Races', if you want me to read it, girl. It's my favorite book."

I open the first page of the book and began to read to Grey:

"Prologue: nine years earlier
Sean
It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die. Even under the brightest star..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Kory, get up."

"No."

"Yes."

I argue with whoever was trying to wake me. "No."

"Please. The breakfast bell already rung."

"Okay? And?"

"Let's go."

I was picked up off the ground where I fell asleep. My eyes fling open. "Hey! Put me down!" I look up to see a grinning Isaak. For someone who never shows a lot of emotion, he sure looks like he is having fun with this. "Isaak, Put. Me. Down."

"I'm good."

"Please."

"Hhmm," he thinks it over. "Well, if you say so."

Issak's arms slip out from under me and I fall, landing on my butt. "Oh, your going to get it," I ground out.

I scramble to my feet and chase after him, up into the dining hall. I burst through the doors yelling. "Isaak, where are you bloody-"

"KORY!" My father's voice seems to echo. I freeze. "Stop acting like a child and sit down."

I know better than to argue, so I sit. I glare at Isaak, who was smart enough to sit a few seats down on the opposite side of the table.

I finish breakfast as fast as I can and stand up to leave. I grabbed my plate off the table and take it to the kitchen. As I walk out the door Isaak shows up by my side.

"What do you want?"

He shrugs, "nothing."

We walk in silence as I head to the house. "Ok, seriously, Isaak, what do you want?" My voice sounds edgy. I am still mad at him for earlier.

He sighs. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

It was my turn to sigh. "It's fine. But I'm going to change now and you can't come." I march up into the house. I change out of my dirty clothes quickly. I brush my teeth and hair before I'm outside once again.

I go to the barn and grab Banjo's halter. I get him out of the paddock and brush him down before throwing on a saddle and bridle as carefully as I could. I take him out to the arena and give him some much needed exerise. I work slowly remembering he has only been rode once before.

Banjo was really coming along great, and soon enough he'll be ready to work outside of a fence. But no matter how great he was, my mind is still back with Grey. I half smile to myself. In my head I already confirmed who she was.

I shake my head and focus back on Banjo. I ride him for another forty-five minutes. I walk Banjo back up to the barn and secure him in the cross ties. After I untack him I take my time brushing him down. I lead him back out with a shiny coat that looks like a new penny. I let him out in the paddock once again. I bring his halter back to the barn.

I get there just in time to see Clayton carrying out a pitch fork and wheel barrel. "Hey, Clayton, do you want help?"

He smiles, "sure."

I run and get another pitch fork and follow him. He takes me out to the side of the barn where the back of the stalls run out into a small paddock. I walk to the second one.

"I will start here? And we will each do every other run-out?" I suggest.

"Sounds fine to me."

We work the rest of the afternoon under the hot sun. As I am finishing up I hear a truck pull up the driveway. I look at Clayton who just shrugged in response. I walked around the side of the barn to see the vets truck stop in front of the house. I forgot she was suppose to come today.

"Just the vet," I say.

"Do you want to go ahead and greet while I dump this out?" Clayton asks.

"Um...sure."

I set the pitch fork against the wheel barrow and walk towards the vet.

"Hello, Dr. Mandez." I wipe my hands off on my pants an offer my hand to shake.

She shakes it. "Hello, Kory. Where's your father?"

"I don't really know." Just as I say that he walks out. "Nevermind."

"Hello, Mr. Reefers. I'm here to check up on the horse you called me about."

"Yes. yes. This way. I wasn't expecting you to come this early."

"I had a few people cancel so I decided to come out."

"I appreciate it."

"So, who am I seeing."

I speak up, "a mare I found."

"Where at?"

"She was just roaming out beyond our pastures."

We are now standing in front of Grey's round pen.

The vet gave her a look of appreciation. "She is a beauty. Will we have to sedate her?"

"I'm not sure. Give me a few seconds." I run to the barn and grab a spare halter. I enter the round pen with Grey and slowly approach her. She tenses but doesn't move. I am able to slip the halter over head. I tentatively rub her neck.

She surprisingly stands still for the vet the entire time. Hardly flinching. When Dr. Mandez left I left Grey to wander around her pen.

It was dark out now, so I headed to shower and change. I put on basketball shorts and a grey t-shirt that said "Better luck next time, Cowboy."

When everyone went to bed, I grabbed The Scorpio Races book and tiptoed my way out of the house. I slipped on my cowboy boots and headed back out to Grey. I sat down and opened the book to where I left. I read to her until my I could hardly stay awake.

"Good night, Grey."

I slip back into the house, and head to my room. I laid down on my bed and fell right to sleep.

*****************************************

An: Omg guys I meant to update like a week ago but I got so busy packing for my state horse show. I'm sorry.

But I hope you like this chapter. The book i mentioned in it is awesome. It's about these horses that live in the sea and eat meat. And every year people capture these horses and race them along the beach. It's one oft favorites. It's called The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.

Anyways thank you sooo much for reading.

See up later, Bye-bye.