Chapter 6- the herd

The ride there was quite relaxing. We played a round of 20 questions and took a quick bathroom break. John brought jerky, too, that we snacked on.

As we neared the herd, I could feel Mattie beginning to get restless beneath me and John and I shared a knowing look. It didn't take long for us to find them thanks to Mattie deciding to whinny, letting them know we were here.

I first saw a bay, then as we came closer, a number of colors. The horses took off startled by the sight of us. I could hear the sound of hooves, and I bet if I was on foot I could feel the ground shake with the pounding. I look over and Isaak's face was complete awe. It probably was a mirror of my own face. No matter how often I come out here I can never seem to get use to it.

We watched the horses and patiently waited for them to settle. As we waited Mattie became more and more impatient. She needs to get out more.

"Alright guys. I think it's safe if we move in now. They're calmer." Johns motions us forward and we follow in a line.

A bay gelding came and greeted us. He looks pretty healthy. I scan over the herd realizing they all do. The supply of food had been plentiful.

We spend a few hours wandering threw the 25 horses and making sure each one was in good health. And by the time we were done I was tired and hungry.

We sat at the edge of the herd and watched them graze as we ate lunch. And to my disappointment, the herd began to wander away. Then they were walking away. I look over at John was talking to Isaak and hasn't noticed.

I hear thudding and look back down to see them moving quicker.

"John!" I shout. "Something's got them spooked.". And it's not us this time.

He looks up and mutters a few words under his breath. He leaps to his feet and goes over to his horse and jumps on.

I stand to go help him. I look down and realize that we still have all of our picnic stuff laying out. Isaak and I look at each, he nods, and I jump onto Mattie and follow after John.

We race up along the herd and I look to John to cue me what to do. He nods for me stay in the back while he heads to the front. Together we attempt to turn the horses.

Slowly, but surely they begin to slow and turn.

"They must've just spooked." John says.

I feel my cheeks flush in embarrassment. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For over judging the situation." I look down.

"Kory, it's fine. It could have become something dangerous if we didn't catch up in time. ok?"

I give him a small smile, "ok."

On the way back home I glance over my shoulder and see a grey streak of a horse running towards the hills.

"John! Isaak! Look!" I point to the horse.

John squints and says, "that's not one of ours. We only have two greys and they are back at the house."

"Then whose is it?" Asked Isaak.

"I don't know."

"Well," John begins, "we can't go after it now. the horses already worked pretty hard and dinner is soon. I really do not feel like getting yelled at for not showing up on time."

I look back to where the horse was. Sighing I say, "ok, let's go."

We head back in silence and I can't seem to stop the questions from flowing threw my head: Why was that horse here? Whose does it belong to? And how did he get over our fence into our herd?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*<*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
An: I can't believe almost 200 people have viewed my book. To be honest I didn't think anyone would be too interested. Thank you to everyone who has read and voted for it. That means a lot to me.

Please tell me what you think and if there is anyway I could improve.

Until later, bye bye.

P.s none of these pictures are mine unless I otherwise say so.