Chapter 26

I sat crouched behind the truck waiting while Clayton creept his way towards them. He told me to give him ten minutes. That was all I had to wait. Then I get my chance to sneak up.

Carefully, I look around the truck. Clays advancing back could barely be seen. The sky lit up suddenly with a flash of light and for a split second I could see everything before the darkness returned.

I turned back around and glanced at the house. There were lights still on which casted their glow across the yard. The door opened and mom stepped out onto the porch.

Thunder rumbled in the distance.

She marched down the stairs and towards the trailer. She was furious. Her hair was flared around her crazily and her hands were fists at her sides. I would hate to be the one on the receiving end of her anger.

I decided it was time to go. Carefully, I inched my way around the truck. Up ahead just outside the arena was a four wheeler. Remaining crouched I rushed fowards and slide up against it. I took a few seconds to recover before looking over the top. There wasn't much else I could hide behind. The only way to get closer is to stay low and go. Hopefully, mom would be would be enough to distract them.  

As quickly as I could while remaining squatted I ran. I stuck along the fence line and kept my eyes glued to the people. Luckily, I wasn't noticed. My eyes scanned for Clayton. He sat crouched near the barn close to the truck. How he got there undetected is beyond me.

I looked towards the men. Grey's coat was starting turn dark from sweat. Her eyes were wide in fear. She writhed away from each of their touches and refused to take a step towards that metal box. Her ears stayed pinned and a couple of times she lifted her front end up away from the dark trailer. When they pushed her too close she would scramble backwards with her teeth bared. For the first time I was grateful for her stubborn attitude and wild nature.

Behind her there were two men. Each held a rope that was placed across her haunches. At the same time they both pulled. I smiled knowing what would happened next. In a matter of seconds she exploded. It was all teeth and hooves as she dug her weapons into anything possible. Someone gave out a shout and fell to the side clutching his shoulder. Dark liquid oozed between his fingers.

From there it was chaos. At some point someone let go of the lead and now Grey stood in a circle of men. Mutiple times she lunged out at them before retreating. After she lunged a man would attempt to try to grab a hold of the rope only to scramble out in fear of terrible injury. Then something happned.

There was a streak of gray as Grey shoved through the men and took off. They chased after her only to recognize they would.never catch her on foot. Then it became a race to tack up and go after her. As they rushed off I managed to carefully make my way to Clayton.

"Now what?" I asked quietly, worried there was still a chance of us being caught.

A shrug of the shoulders. "We go after her, I guess. The safest bet would be to send you first." I nodded.

With a glance over my shoulder I jogged over to the tack room, looked both ways and grabbed a bridle. Someone briskly walked passed and I tensed but they kept going. With a sigh I carried on to the paddock where choas continued. Everyone rushed about trying to get everything together as quick as possible. In the midst of it I saw mother. She stood in front of dad shouting at him. I could not hear words over the sounds of horses and men but I knew that they were not good at all.

The there was a moment of silence as everyone turned their heads. Their attention temporarily distracted by the man giving orders. I took this chance and slipped through the fence to retrieve Mattie. I didn't bother with a saddle or brushing her already sleek coat, only slipped her bridle over her head. I lead her over to the gate and opened it as quietly as possible. The chain gently clattered against the metal as I opened it. Just before making it through the chain slipped through my hand and banged loudly against the gate.

Everyone's head turned.

I turned my head away hoping they didn't see my face. If they did I would be stopped. A few moments passed before they turned away. I rose my eyebrows in confusion but continued on.

Carefully, I swung upon Mattie's back and walked her just pass the barn. When I sure no one would hear I urged her into a canter in the direction of Grey.

When I reached the area where Grey was first spotted I allowed Mattie to completely slow to a walk. There was no sign of her. Not even a hoof print in the dusted earth, but I continued on.

I circled the whole area still without a single clue as to where she went. The only possible way that I could have missed where she headed was if she jumped the fence once more. So, I made my way out the gate and walked the perimeter.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

So I finally updated.

You can go ahead and hate me now. I have no excuse other than the fact I've been busy.

If you stuck with this book for this long I have no words. You are incredibly awesome and deticated.