Chapter 15- Pain

I let the warm water run over my sore body. The day was long with my side increasingly becoming more painful. Luckily, all the ranch hands thought I was sore from the work and not from getting bucked off. If they found out Grey threw me into the fence they would lecture me and I hate lecturers.

I wrap the towel around my body and walk to my room. I throw on basketball shorts and a tank top and grab the game controller off my dresser. I put in my favorite game of all time, Red Dead Redemption.

Just as I finish a mission someone knocks on my door. "Come in!"

John's head pops around the door. "Hey, sis. You coming to dinner?"

I shrug my shoulders, "Uh. Yeah, I guess."

I save my game and stand. Stretching, I walk out the door with John. He puts his arm around me and I lay my head on his side as we walk.

He looks down at me, "You ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired." He hums in agreement.

The food smells amazing as always. I take a seat in my usually spot and spoon food onto my plate. I stay quiet as everyone laughs around me.

"Hey, Kory? Why you so quiet?" Gus asks rather loudly.

"Just tired," I repeat the words I said to John.

"Was working on the fence too much? Poor baby," he mocks.

Instead of telling them the truth of Grey bucking me off I just roll my eyes, and look down at my plate mumbling a "maybe." I hear laughing then silence as a door opens. I look up and see Isaak standing awkwardly in the doorway. He glances at everyone before his eyes settle me. He walks towards me and take the empty seat to my left. He doesn't say anything and neither do I. The chatter picks back up and Isaak's unusual appearance is temporally forgotten. Clayton, who is across from me, just stares at him, challenging him to say something that gives him a reason to dislike him.

I roll my eyes and mouth chill. He visibly shakes his head no. I sigh and continue to eat in silence. I finish before the others and instead of waiting for them to finish I place my dishes in the dishwasher, and walk out.

The sky is dark and there is a small breeze giving goosebumps to my body. I forgot I was only in my shorts and tank top. One of the horses whinny and some gut feeling tells me it's Grey. So, I walk to her.

She is still in the arena and I can just see her running along the fence. When she reaches one end of the arena she flips her head over the fence and whinnies. My heart aches knowing she wishes to be free. I rest my arms on the top of the fence and lay my head on them.

"Hey." I jump. I turn and glare at me scarer. Isaak just gives me a shrug, "Sorry."

We stand in silence. The only sound is Grey's hooves pounding the earth as she paces and the crickets in the field.

Isaak shifts. "So...um...how's your side?"

"It hurts like hell."

"Hhmp."

"Did you laugh?" I accuse.

"Nooo...."

"Isaak! What was funny?"

"Um..nothing?" He raises one eyebrow.

I smack his arm. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," he repeats, trying to hold in his laughter.

"Isaak," I whine.

"You really want to know?" I nod my head. "It's you cusing. You just look so innocent."

"I look innocent? Ha."

"You do." We fall back into silence. My side is starting to become unbearable again and the cold is starting to make me shiver. I turn my head and look at Isaak. His dark hair is wavy and messy. His eyes look dark blue with only the light of the moon reflecting off them.

I can't help it. "Do you...want to come play the play station?"

He shrugs. "Sure." I can't help the small smile that comes to my face.

"Well, let's go." He follows me into the house. I grab a couple drinks from the fridge and hold up a bag of chips and popcorn in question. He nods. I carry all the stuff to my room and set it all on my bed. I walk to my closet and pull out the two beanbag chairs I keep in there for Clayton and I.

Laying out all the games I own I ask him, "Which do you want to play?"

He studies them for a few moments, "Call of Duty."

"Great. Blue ones mine." I hop into the beanbag and toss him the second controller. He falls back onto the red beanbag and I press the button and we begin to play.

~*~

We have almost played all my games by the time it was 11. The longer I sit still the more it becomes extremely uncomfortable.

Isaak pauses the game, taking notice of my discomfort. "You alright?" He asks. The concern was in his voice and written all over his face.

Finding no reason to lie I tell him. "My side. Is killing me."

"How bad is it?"

"The bruise? Up my entire side left side. From my butt to arm pit." He cringes. I left up my shirt to just under my sports bra and turn for him to see it. He immediately stands in front of me. Carefully, he reaches out and runs his fingers over it. I flinch away from the terrible pain.

He quickly pulls his hand away looking regretful. "I'm sorry. You should ice it. Did you take anything for the pain?"

I laugh. "No, mother hen, I did not."

"Mother hen? I am not a mother nor a hen."

"So you say," I call after me as I walk down the hall to the fridge. I pull out a plastic bag, filling it with ice. Opening the medicine cabinet I grab the medicine for the pain. I also get another bag of popcorn and a glass of water. Carefully I pile the stuff onto my arms and balance it down the hallway to my room.

I was walk in Isaak is by my side grabbing the stuff off the top and laying it on my bed. "Thanks."

"No problem."

After I down the medicine I settle back onto the beanbag with the ice on the bruise. We decided on watching Flicka since we have played games for the past 5 or so hours. I don't remember when it happened but at some point I fell asleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An: I am soo sorry for the slow update. I have been soo freakin busy with horses, XC and school. Hopefully I can update more often after October.

Fun fact: Grey is only spelled with an A the U.S. Most everywhere else it's spelled with an E.

Shoutout to jazzypants247 for pushing me to finish this chapter. If she didn't who knows when I would have, so thank you! You're awesome!

Thank you for ready! Please vote, comment, follow :)