Chapter 17- Connect

After Isaak showed me how to connect better with Grey that's all I've done. Apparently, a guy named Pat Parelli made up these ways to become a better leader and build a better partnership with your horse. It's actually quite interesting.

Currently, I'm sitting outside of the round pen I moved Grey to, reading to her. She flicks her ears back and forth listening intently.

The weather is perfect; not too hot, not too cold, just the perfect temperature with the perfect little breeze. Sadly, this cooler weather means school is just around the corner. Early mornings, long bus rides, and homework. Yuck.

This year will be different. John has graduated leaving me almost all alone. Clayton will be there, but it means he will have to work late for my dad. I won't be seeing him often when school does start.

Speaking of Clayton, it's been awhile since we hung out. I finish reading the chapter and stand.

"Bye Grey baby."

I wander around for a bit before I spot Clayton cleaning out one of the side paddocks.

"Hey."

"Hey." He doesn't even look up.

"Need help?"

"Nope, I got it."

"I'll help." I run back to the barn and grab my pitchfork. Quietly, I help him finish.

"So, you want to go for a trail ride?"

He shrugs, "sure."

Once again we fall into silence as we walk off to get ready.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It didn't take us long to get ready and soon we were off walking along the edge of the fence. Clayton is on Bandit and I'm on Banjo.

"He's doing great," Clayton says.

"Hhmm?"

"Banjo. He's has improved so much."

"Oh, Thanks. I'm so freakin' proud of him."

We fall back into silence and I can't help but think there is something wrong. Cautiously I ask, "are you okay?" He shrugs.

"Speak with me."

"It's fine, really." The harsh tone of his words make me hesitant.

"Are you sure?"

"Yup."

"Well, okay...do you want to at least play the play station tonight?"

He gives me a faint smile' "sure."

For the rest of the ride we vary between topics and I make sure not too mention his grouch attitude from earlier. It didnt seem to take long before we arrived back at the barn.

"See you tonight, Clayton."

"Alright, see ya." He walks off to do what I assume was another chore.

I walk down to Grey's pen, her halter slung over my shoulder. She's grazing on the little hay that's left from this morning. She raises her head a little when she sees me; her ears pricked forwards. She doesn't flinch when I enter but she doesn't exactly walk the five feet to get to me.

Sighing, I turn my back and slowly approach her holding my hand out behind me with a treat. She stretches her neck and steps forward trying to take the treat from my hand. When I reach her side I give her the treat, and scratch her neck.

"Good girl." I ask her to lower her head and slowly, I slip the the halter onto her head. "Good girl." I give her another good scratch and treat.

I grab my carrot stick from edge of the pen and ask her to move out to the side. She obliges and trots the circle around me. When she stops listening to me I flick the carrot stick grabbing her attention once more. I switch the stick to my other hand and ask her to switch directions. She does not respond at first but as soon as I flick the stick she switches.

I do this a few more times, as well as asking her to switch her gaits. After an half hour if this game I decide to call her in. I lean down and look at her hindquarters, silently asking her to move the away from me. She responds instantly, twisting so she is facing me. I back up and she follows so she is standing in front of me.

I reach up and scratch her forehead causing her to lower head and sigh while licking her lips. "Good girl. Your amazing." I breath. I lean my head against hers and we stand like that.

I pull away to set the carrot stick against the pen. She follows right behind me. I clip the lead rope onto her halter and lead her out. We spend an hour wondering throughout our property. All the while I talk to her, telling her how we are going to explore as much as we can. I tell her of my friends and family, and of everything I love.
When I put her up I give her an apple I stole from the house and a kiss good night.

I didn't talk much as I ate my food. The guys joked around me, but no one included me knowing full well if I wanted to join I would.

"So, Clay do you want to talk about earlier?" I ask as I sit on my bed.

"Not really."

"Seriously," I'm really starting to get to mad that keeps trying to beat around the bush. "I love you an all, but come on I thought we promised to tell each other everything."

Back when we were little we made a pact promising to stick together and tell each other everything. The girls at school used to pick on me until Clayton decide enough was enough, and took under his wing. Soon free was when we made the pact, and we have best friends, almost siblings, ever since.

He sighs and runs his fingers through his hair. "Look, Kory, I know. I just don't want to upset you."

"Better upset me now and just get over with."

"Fine, whatever," he throws his hands in the air. "Can you please stop spending so much time with Isaak? That's all you do. We don't even have time to hang out now that you spend all your time with him."

"But," I realize I don't even have a good comeback. I haven't know Isaak for more than a month and suddenly I feel like I have been neglecting my best friend duties to some stranger. But I don't want to completely stop talking to him. "I promise to spend time with you and less time with Isaak. But I'm not going to stop hanging out with him, okay?"

"Kory..."

"You can even hang out with us if you want okay?" I hold my hand out, "deal?"

He shakes my hand grumpily, "deal."

"Ok now let's play some Call of Duty."

He perks up a little. "Alright." He grabs his controller off the tv stand and plops down onto his bean bag.

I put in the game and walk down the hall to grab us each a coke and a bag of chips. I hold up the coke and he nods his head. In place the chips on the flier and the cokes on the Tv stand.

"Let's do this." And I hit start.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An: So, my school sport is over so now I have a little more time to write. Thank goodness. I feel bad for taking forever.

Gaits: the different paces of the horse-walk, trot, canter/lope, gallop.

What do you think so far? What do I need to improve on?
Any questions for me to answer?

I hope you have a good night and make a great day tomorrow.

*waves*

(Ps. Please vote, comment, follow?)