Chapter 24

"Easy, girl." I stoke Grey's neck and attempt to calm her down. She hasn't stopped moving since I put her in the cross ties. To be fair, today was a windy day which caused her ears to constantly swivel to, and fro trying to pick up any sounds of a predator. Farther in the barn a broom got knocked over and thunked loudly on the concrete flooring. Grey lurched to the side and held her head high in the air. She blew out harshly.

I took this as my cue to remove her from the cross ties and take her out to the arena. As soon as I unclipped her she launched herself out. I hung onto her lead and was able to keep her from being let free. When I finally  got her down to the arena I set her free. She took off, kicking her heels up and letting out squeals. As fast as her legs could carry her, she ran. Occasionally, she would stop and prance to a stop before blowing out before she would take off again. Once she raced out all her energy she trotted up to my spot on the fence and breathed in my face.

I laughed. "Feel better yet, girl?" I climbed through the fence and clipped her lead back on. Quietly, I walked her around the arena. Once she was cooled off I walked her back her paddock where she had some flakes of hay waiting for her. After I released her I took her stuff back up to the barn.

Waiting for me outside of the barn was Isaak. In his hand he held a basket. I looked at him in confusion.

"What is this for?"

"I thought I would surprise you."

I blush instantly. "Don't you have to work?"

"I got the rest of the day off." He gave me the most charming smile and offered me his hand. With hesitance I placed my hand in his. Although, I couldn't help but feel something was off. He lead us to a tree that sat overlooking the farm. Gently, he set the basket down. He opened it and pulled out a blanket which he laid on the ground. As he took the rest of the things out I observed him. 

His dark hair was messy from working that morning. Every time he moved his lean muscles would coil and uncoil, and until now I never noticed how tan he had become. I couldn't believe that somehow this guy seems to like me. 

I sat down next to him on the blanket and picked up one of the sandwiches. We both ate quietly for a while, just enjoying the view with silence. When we finished i finally spoke up. "So what are?"

He turns towards me. "What do you mean?"

"Are we friends or..." I allowed the sentence to hang in the air. "You never asked me." He doesn't respond right away, but instead thinks it over. Then he turns towards me, gives me a smile and says, "Kory, would you like to go out with me?"

"Of course." 

~•~

When we returned from lunch Clayton was sitting on top of Grey's paddock fence. He didn't look our way when we walked by but instead just stared straight ahead. I said my goodbye to Isaak and he kissed my cheek. Then he walked off. Hesitantly, I approached Clayton.

"Hey." He glanced my way but didn't greet me. A look of concern crossed my face. "What's wrong?" My rested gently on his upper arm. He shook it off.

"He's going to help get rid of Grey."

"Get rid of her? What do you mean?"

He sighed before he faced me. "I overhead him and your father talking. They were saying that on the first day of school someone was going to come and pick her up."

"But why would he do that? He knows how much I love Grey." My heart began to pound a little harder with the fear that Clayton words were true. There's no way Isaak would do that to me, right?

"I don't know, Kor. I just told you what I heard."

"When did you here this?" I gave him a glare, refusing to believe this was true.

"Earlier this morning. I went to ask your dad a question and I overheard them from his office."

I don't say anything but ground my teeth together. If what he said was true I am going to practically tear both of them apart.

~•~

Clayton Pov

I shuffle towards the house where I was sure Mr. Reefer would be. I needed to ask him which horses were to be brought in from the pastures and which horses were to go out.

I knock lightly on the house screen door and wait. Mrs. Reefer appears wiping her hands on her apron. "Come on. Something wrong, Clay?"

"Good morning, ma'm. I just have some business to discuss with Mr. Reefer is all. Is he in his office?"

"He is. You know where his office is."

"Yes, thank you." I give her a smile and make my way down the hall.

His door was closed. I raised my hand to knock I heard a voice say, "Is Kory alright with this?" Isaak. I froze.

"Of course she is, son. She knows what kind of business we run here. It'll have to happen sooner or later anyway." What were they talking about?

"But, sir, she loves that horse. Are you sure that this is the right thing?"

"Why wouldn't it be? I run a business here and it is my right to say what can and can't stay." Anger laced his voice. "And you cannot tell Kory. If you do I'll be sure to fire you and set shame on your family."

"Yes, sir." The air around me suddenly felt heavy.

Sensing that the conversation was over, I left quickly. Pushing off the wall I rush out the door. Behind me Mrs Reefer called put, "Clay, everything alright? You look pale."

I tried to give her a convincing smile. "I'm quite alright. Feeling a little sick is all. I'm just going to go lay down."

She dosnt look convined, but thankfully left it alone. "Well, alright. Let me know if you need anything."

I rushed off to find Kory only to realize Isaak somehow beat me to her. So, I walked to Grey's paddock,  climbed the fence and sat down, waiting.

~•~

Later that night I laid in bed thinking. I don't know why anyone would want to sell Grey. She was doing no harm staying here and she made Kory so happy.

I felt bad not telling her the whole truth of how skeptical Isaak was, but does that really matter? He was still going to help get rid of Grey.

~*~*~*~*

An: So, there's drama now. What do you all think?

I had a little trouble writing this because I truly wanted her with Isaak but a friend of mine brought up a good point. Kory has known Clayton longer and her dad doesn't like her too much so what if something were to happen between her, her father, and Isaak?

I'm so glad I finally had a chance to get this written up. You can thank the fact that I am stuck on a bus for a cross country and had a good extra hour to write.

I hope you all have a lovely night.

Until next time.

Please vote, comment follow. 😄