428 Days

They left down the hall. Tony couldn't help but feel his eyes wander, taking her in. She was just as beautiful as he remembered.

"So," Tony started, "Why'd you leave Israel so quickly? It's only been 428 days."

"You've been counting?" She remarked, raising an eyebrow.

Tony chuckled: "Oh Ms. David, you're just as quick as I remember."

Ziva smiled. "Is that a compliment?"

"No! No. Well, yes, maybe.. I guess it's kind of how you perceive, you know, how deep you want to go.." Tony trailed off.

Turning, she stopped in front of him and met his gaze.

"I didn't know why I kept coming back to Israel, when it has taken so much from me. I have no one left there. But I've learned that spending today complaining about yesterday won't make tomorrow any better, so I've been thinking about moving back here. After all, this was my first home."

Tony's brow wrinkled with concern. "But the struggle today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow," he observed and then inwardly kicked himself for the cliché remark. Ziva didn't seem to notice.

"I tried starting over. I tried to repay the mothers who lost their sons to a senseless war. I tried to fix my father's mistakes, and I guess while trying so hard, I lost a piece of me."

"A part that can be easily repaired," Tony noted sincerely.

"By starting this organization, I thought I could stop all the violence that I grew up with, the violence that I know better than any other, and to teach others to fight battles with words and good deeds instead of wars."

Tony was quiet for a second. "So why come back to America?"

"I guess I missed the people," she admitted. "A few people in particular who allowed me to find myself. My true self."

"Gibbs? Ah, Gibbs. Of course. He is the only father you have left."

"Yes, Gibbs.. Along with a few others," she said, staring off into the distance. "Anyway, enough about my problems. How have you been?"

"Life goes on," Tony pursed his lips thoughtfully. "Hey- at least I still got my movies and my boze," he smiled sadly.

A minute of silence passed. Ziva took his face into her hands.

"Still drinking? After all these years?" She asked, her face mere centimetres away from his.

"Well, a lot has changed. More people have died- others, bad guys, have gotten away."

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is a choice," she said, pecking him on the cheek.

They were quiet for a moment. Finally Tony broke the comfortable silence.

"I'm glad you're back," he admitted. "I was beginning to doubt life."

"Love cannot be found where it doesn't exist, nor can it be hidden where it truly does," Ziva said, looking deep into his sea- green eyes.

Tony chuckled surprised. "Ziva David, did you just quote a movie?"

"Well, it was never made into a book, so use your nougat, Tony."

"Noggin, not nougat," Tony immediately corrected, chuckling silently to himself.

"Whatever," Ziva countered, and relaxed.

Although she hated to admit it, she was jovial to be home, and instantly felt warm and ecstatic inside. She only had one life to live. She was going to make the most of it.