The Hospital

The hospital smelled of sour disinfectant and new sheets. It really wasn't comforting. The immaculate walls seemed to ridicule Tony, as he sat in the waiting room.

Waiting.
Waiting.
And more waiting.

The hours seemed to tick by slowly, each minute a painful reminder that Ziva could leave them at any time.

That Ziva could breathe her last breath of air on this planet and slip into the next world and leave him.

She might not make it.

"I should've told her," he thought to himself.

"I should've told her."

The hours seemed to drag by, passing like a blur. Tony sat quietly, his hands in his lap, waiting for the news.

Abruptly jolting him out of his thoughts, the doctor came out of the ER, holding a clipboard and walked towards Tony followed by a shaken Gibbs.

"Is she alright?"
The words slipped out of his mouth, tumbling in a giant mass.

"Excuse me?" the doctor politely asked.

"Ziva. Is she alright?" he tried again, slower this time.

The doctor played with her pen, deliberately avoiding Tony's eyes.

"Is she okay?" he asked once more.

A moment of tense silence passed. Then the doctor looked up.

"She's in critical condition."

Tony sighed, taking his head into his hands.

The doctor continued: "She's lost a lot of blood. She may not make it."

Tony gasped.
That last statement was like a slap across the face.

"Well, can I at least see her?" Tony asked, shocked beyond belief at the situation at hand.

The doctor hesitated before answering: "You have ten minutes. But be careful, she's still in critical condition."