Chapter 17

I fell forward onto the hard ground. I pushed myself up to see that Cedric and Harry had landed beside me.

I looked around. We were in a dark, gloomy graveyard. There was a small church visible in the distance, and an old house on the hillside that was to my right.

Cedric and I pulled Harry up.

"Where the hell are we?" I mumbled, getting a bad feeling about the place.

"I dunno... did anyone tell either of you that the cup was a Portkey?" Cedric asked.

"Nope," Harry and I said.

"Is this supposed to be part of the task?..." Harry asked.

"I dunno," Cedric repeated nervously.

"This isn't a part of the task," I concluded, looking around. "We must be hundreds of miles from Hogwarts..."

I pulled out my wand, and Cedric and Harry did the same.

I saw a figure emerging from the darkness, walking towards us.

"Someone's coming," Harry whispered.

I clutched my wand tighter. The short figure was carrying something in its arms... it almost looked like it was carrying a baby.

Harry and Cedric lowered their wands, but I didn't. I glanced at them, and then back at the figure. It stopped about six feet away from us, beside a marble headstone, and looked at us.

I gasped as suddenly, the most excruciating pain I'd ever felt in my life exploded in my scar. It felt as if I had no control over my body as I fell to the ground, dropping my wand in the process. All I could see was white, and I let out a cry of pain, clutching my forehead in agony.

"Kill the spare," a high pitched, cold voice said from far away.

Before I could even understand what was happening, a second voice had shouted, "Avada Kedavra!"

There was a blast of green through the white I had been seeing, and there was a thud beside me.

The pain increased to a point where I had fallen onto my side and couldn't move at all, I could only squeeze my eyes shut- but I was trying to open them, I had heard the killing curse. It had hit somebody. Somebody was dead.

The pain reduced to a point where I was able to open my eyes.

Cedric was laying on the ground beside Harry and I. His grey eyes that had once been full of kindness and life were stuck open, staring at the sky. His chest wasn't rising and falling.

Cedric was dead.

For a moment, I stared at him in shock. Cedric couldn't be dead... that wasn't possible.

But I had seen it. Cedric was dead.

"NO!" I sobbed, throwing myself at his body hysterically. "CEDRIC!"

Somebody pulled me off of Cedric's lifeless body, and began dragging me towards the marble headstone with one of his hands. The other was clutching Harry, pulling him along.

"LET GO OF US!" I yelled, fighting against his grip to get back to Cedric. The tears were still streaming down my cheeks for him, my mind spinning in disbelief.

The person's grip tightened. I caught a glimpse of the writing on the marble headstone for just a split second.

TOM RIDDLE

The man forced both Harry and I around, and slammed us against the headstone. My head was spinning from the impact as the man conjured ropes from the end of his wand, binding us to the headstone tightly.