Chapter 34

Harry, Ron, Hermione and I sat at breakfast the next morning, talking about what had happened at Hagrid's yesterday. We had gotten more information about the Sorcerer's Stone, and had found out that Hagrid was hiding an illegal dragon egg in his wooden house.

"Lily?" Harry said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I said.

"Where's Ava?" he asked.

"You're missing somebody," I stared him down until he realized who he had forgotten.

"Oh yeah, and Olivia. Where's Ava and Olivia?" Harry asked.

Now I would answer him.

"Who knows? You know how they are. Most likely in trouble or doing something they aren't supposed to," I smiled a bit, rolling my eyes.

Ron snorted.

"Harry, look! Hedwig has a letter for you!" Hermione suddenly exclaimed, pointing up near the ceiling. Sure enough, there was Hedwig, carrying an off-white colored envelope.

The owl landed in between Harry and I, and dropped the letter. Harry immediately started to rip open it open, and Hermione scowled at him.

"Thank you, Hedwig," she said, and gave Hedwig half a piece of toast. Hedwig flew away, satisfied.

"Take a look at this," Harry said, turning around the piece of parchment so that we could see what was written on it.

There were only two words written on it.

It's hatching.

"Who is it from?" I asked Harry, looking up.

Hermione smacked me.

"It's from Hagrid, of course! Even Ronald had that one figured out!"

"I say we skip Herbology and go see Hagrid," Ron said.

"Skipping class? No way, we'll be caught for sure," Hermione said, rather loudly, just as Malfoy walked by our table.

He looked at us suspiciously. I looked him up and down, and apparently the look I gave him was enough for him to keep walking.

"Great job, Hermione. Now he knows, and he's most likely going to tell Professor Sprout on us," Ron said, annoyed, and looking a bit worried.

"It's not my fault he's nosy, Ronald. Besides, we aren't going to do it anyways," Hermione said stubbornly.

"Ron, there's no need to point fingers," I started. "Hermione, we need to go. This is really important to Hagrid."

The whole way to Herbology, we argued about going to see Hagrid.

"If we did, we would be breaking just about a million rules! We're not supposed to be in the forest in the first place, we're not supposed to skip Herbology, not to mention that raising a dragon is COMPLETELY illegal," Hermione said. "Plus, Malfoy knows now, and he's for sure going to rat us out."

"Who cares?" I basically ignored everything she had said.

"I do!" Hermione said, outraged.

"Other than watching the dragon hatch, maybe we can get some more information out of Hagrid about the Stone," Harry said.

I just realized something.

"Guys, we still haven't seen Ava and Olivia, and I can see from here to the greenhouse. They're not there..." I started to get a bit worried, and my stomach did a little flip.