Chapter 16

"Lily! Lily, wake up!"

I slowly opened my eyes, squinting through the darkness. Ava was standing over me, and the rest of our dorm was empty. There was a lot of commotion coming from outside the door of our dormitory.

"W-what's going on? Why the hell did you wake me up in the middle of the night?" I asked, rubbing my eyes as I sat up.

"You're not gonna believe this," Ava said anxiously, her voice quavering. She grabbed my hand, leading me out of the dorm.

It seemed like almost the entire Gryffindor tower was outside, plus McGonagall. I checked the clock, and it read four in the morning.

I looked around, and spotted Harry standing by the boys dormitories. I quickly walked over to him, confused.

"Harry, what's going on? Where's Ron?" I asked.

"Ron woke up yelling, and his curtains were slashed. He said that Sirius Black was standing over him with a knife," Harry said.

My jaw dropped, and I looked around, spotting Ron standing by McGonagall, along with Percy. Sirius Black in Ron and Harry's dorm?

It instantly felt like a nightmare. This was exactly why I broke up with Fred, because I was scared that Harry and I's crazy life could hurt him. Now Sirius Black was going after one of my best friends, too.

"Mr. Weasley, I am delighted that Gryffindor won the match, but this is getting ridiculous! I expected more from you," McGonagall cried.

If it were any other occasion, I might've laughed at the fact that she showed up wearing the full outfit: a dressing gown, slippers, and an extremely irritated expression.

"No, Professor," Percy stammered. "My brother Ron just had a nightmare, I would never permit that-"

"IT WASN'T A NIGHTMARE!" Ron shouted, red in the face. "SIRIUS BLACK WAS STANDING OVER ME WITH A KNIFE!"

Silence.

"That's i-impossible, Weasley, are you sure you're not confused?-" McGonagall said.

"I'm not confused, ask him!" Ron exclaimed, pointing towards the portrait hole where Sir Cadogan was.

McGonagall hurried over to the portrait, but I couldn't exactly hear what she was saying because everyone was freaking out. I knew this couldn't be good, and honestly, I believed Ron. I glanced over at Ava, who was pacing nervously at the bottom of the stairs.

Harry and I exchanged an anxious look.

I began walking towards her, but paused when McGonagall walked away from the portrait hole, looking mortified. The buzz of the common room instantly hushed.

"Which person," McGonagall seethed, shaking a bit. "Which foolish, ignorant person left this list of the entire week's passwords laying around?"

My mind instantly went to Neville. Seconds later, he shakily raised his hand, looking guilty as ever.

For the rest of the night, the professors searched the entire castle, and we were ordered to stay in our common room. Hermione was really upset, because she said that if Black had killed Ron, he would've died upset with her. Horrific, I know, but sort of true. She wanted to be alone after we talked for a bit, so she went up to our dorm.

Meanwhile, I really couldn't tell what was up with Ava. She sort of just sat in a chair by the fire, staring into it blankly. It kind of gave me the vibe that she was like, burning everyone and everything in her mind or something.

I was sitting in between Harry and Ron on the couch, across from Ava's chair. I was leaning my head on Ron's shoulder, hoping it might at least comfort him a little. Right now, he was still in shock, as was the rest of the Gryffindors.