Chapter 13

It was Christmas Eve, and Ron, Harry, Hermione and I had spent days trying to help Hagrid's case. The fact that it was the holidays was one of the only things cheering me up. Ever since I had arrived at Hogwarts, Christmas was always my favorite holiday. I absolutely loved all the decorations put up around the castle.

There were Christmas trees, red and green decorations, holly, and so much more all around the castle. I'd decided to at least attempt to enjoy Christmas with my brother, Ron, and Hermione instead of moping about how sucky my life was before everyone arrived back from Christmas holidays.

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas," I sang, skipping through the hallway while dragging Hermione along behind me by the hand.

"Toys in every store," Hermione continued, a small smile spreading across her face.

"But the prettiest sight to see,"

"Is the holly that will be,"

"On your own front door," we finished together, bursting into giggles as we climbed through the portrait holes.

Harry and Ron glanced at each other with scared expressions.

"Alright then," Ron said, continuing his game of chess with Harry.

"You act as if we're singing about murdering someone rather than Christmas," I commented, making my way up the stairs. Hermione was behind me.

We got in our dorm, and an idea struck me.

"Hermione," I said, looking over to where she was stroking Crookshanks. "I want you to cut my hair."

"You want me to do what?" Hermione exclaimed, looking at me like I had three heads.

"I want you to come and chop it to just below shoulder length," I declared, picking up a pair of scissors from my sock drawer. Don't ask.

"Lily, are you sure you want to-"

"I can grow it back in seconds if I hate it, woman," I rolled my eyes. "Perks of being a Metamorphmagus. I'm sort of having a mental breakdown these past few weeks, and I feel like chopping off my hair will make me feel better. So take these scissors, and get your butt in the bathroom."

"I suppose it won't hurt," Hermione said, taking the scissors and following me to our bathroom. "It really is interesting, you being a metamorphmagus and all, I've read a lot about it. I wish I was one, I would be able to change the ugly poofball I call my hair."

I spun around, nearly taking my eye out with the scissors in the process. I'd never really heard Hermione talk about any insecurities before.

"Hermione, your hair is gorgeous the way it is," I said honestly. "It's different, but that doesn't make it ugly."

"Thanks, Lily," Hermione sighed as I turned back around, facing the mirror. "That makes me feel a bit better. I'm about to cut your hair, okay?"

Oh no, I could feel the regret coming! I took one last look at my waist-length red hair, which I could easily grow back, and squeezed my eyes shut, squealing.

"Okay, go!"

I heard the snipping noise, and I opened my eyes, to see that my hair was cut evenly to just below my shoulders. I stared at myself in the mirror for a second, an anxiously waiting Hermione behind me, before making my decision.

"I absolutely hate it," I cringed, running my hands through my hair.

We both burst into laughter.

"Let's go show Ron and Harry before you grow it back," Hermione said, laughing.

We went down to the common room, where the guys had just finished their game of chess (which Ron obviously won.)