JAINA💖🙌

After what seems like forever avoiding all forms of eye contact and communication with Nathaniel, the school finally comes to an end. I tell a kid from my bus that I won't be going home by bus and should inform the driver not to wait for me.

Once in the field, I hear Nathaniel call my name. I turn around to face him and when he makes to run to me, his driver appears out of the crowd and calls to him. He looks at me in disappointment and reluctantly walks in the opposite direction from where I am standing.

I watch him get into his fancy Lexus and I turn away in anger. Stumping my feet on the ground as I walk.

A few meters from the school, I hear a familiar voice call my name. I turn around and find Dina running up to me. I want to walk away, but then I recall my promise to Faith to give Dina a chance to share her side of the story with me.

"I'm glad you stopped," she says as she stops beside me panting.

I remain silent and look down at her in distaste. She looks up at me finds me staring at her like I am about to push her off a skyscraper.

"Ugh! Don't give me that look" she complains and I look away rolling my eyes.

"What do you want? " I finally ask.

"For us to talk," she replies as she begins to walk. I follow her lead and begin to walk beside her.

"I know you are mad at me," she says.

"Oh no, you're wrong. I'm really mad at you." I correct.

She sighs and begins.
"Look Jade, I'm sorry things between us had to go downhill. And there is no denying that it was all my fault. "

"Well, you got that right! " I reply scrolling at her from the side of my eyes.

"But not completely," she adds.

"What do you mean not completely? " I quiz in disapproval.

"I mean, we both have a hand in what our relationship has turned to" she adds looking away from me.

"That's not true! " I snap.

"It is," she replies bluntly.

"In what way? " I question.

"Do you remember when we were in junior school two? " she asks.

"Yeah? " I reply.

"Do you remember Shallom? " she asks as she begins to kick the stones in her path.

"Yeah, I do" I reply. How on earth would I forget that lovely human? She was a close friend to me.

"Well, she is kind of the reason I stepped back," she replies as she stops in her track.

"Wait what? " I ask in alarm and confusion equally stoping.

"That's right. You and Shallom made me leave. Especially you. " she says pointing at me and looking into my eyes.

"Me?? " I ask again as I am lost.

"Yes, you! Asif going home by the same bus wasn't enough, you both sat next to each other in every class, joined the same sports team, sharing your meals, did twins hairstyles and so much more. You shut me out!
You ignored me and our friendship! " she replies pocking me in the cheat and demonstrating with her fingers and hands. I begin to understand her point.

"I only joined Silvia to make you jealous but you never really noticed and I got stuck in that ratty circle. They are good on the list aspect. They have all the latest news and jist dem. " she replies half laughing.

"But Shallom left. What happened after that? " I ask crossing my arms

"Well I thought you would notice my importance and absence, and then ask me what was wrong, but then Faith came along and you ditched me. " She replies crossing her arms

"Oh, wow, I... I didn't know. All this time I thought you backstabbed me" I reply as I feel the guilt build in my guts.

"You never asked, Jade, and you also never gave me a chance to explain," she replies Smiling.

"But why the sudden realization and change? " I ask with a scrunched nose.

"Well you know I have never been a fan of Silvia. That girl has got zero class and a horrible personality. Did I mention she is very sly? " Dina replies as she slaps her forehead with her palm. Causing me to laugh.

"Look, Jade. I miss us, I miss JAINA. " she replies. Jaina is what we called ourselves. The combination of our names. Jade and Dina = JAINA.

"I know, but can I trust you?" I question.

"I swear on my hair that you can," she replies. Just like me, Jade has unbelievable hair. My hair is an afro forest but hers is the worst. It's fuller, thicker, and curlier. So yes, it does mean a lot to her.
I giggle and pull her into a hug.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"Forgive me too." She says and our embrace tightens. We talk the rest of the way home. She partially takes my mind of Nathaniel, but deep down, I can't stop thinking about him.

Just when I begin to come to terms with my feeling for him, he's leaving.