💔Broken💔

My phone has not stopped ringing so I decide to pick it up.

Initially, I love Rema a lot. I mean a whole lot, but I don't swoon over him like some of my friends.

I usually sing why by Rema because I can and I handle the high parts well. Although I sing what doesn't make sense where I don't hear or understand what he is saying.

Although, right now, at this very moment, the lyric of the song sinks into my heart like butter on hot bread.

The song suits my mood perfectly so I leave my phone to ring one more time.

Then I pick;

Faith's voice comes blaring through the speaker and she sounds tense and worried.

"Girl, where have you been? If you wanted to give someone a heart attack, did it have to be me?" She screams into the phone.

I can perfectly picture her speaking through her teeth and her silly expressions and gesticulations as she always does when frustrated.

This image warms my heart and causes me to give a little chuckle.

"I am at the football field." I simply reply.

"What? Since when did you become a football fan? And What are you doing? Tryouts there alone with the teacher? " she replies both jokingly and in astonishment.

"Well, a few minutes ago, I was sure I was gonna love football even more than I currently do, but right now, sitting here... I have just realized how much I hate the sport. " I reply and give the most hearty laughter I could muster.

I do love football to an extent. I mean having four older brothers can't go to waste in a girl's life.

I am a Manchester United fan. My lock screen saver is their logo and my favorite catchphrase is their slogan; 'The red devils'

And if Victor had told me he felt for me the same way I did for him, I would have loved football much more.

But right now, I'm not so sure I'm ever gonna come near a football field. At least not this one and that too not at night.

"You know girl, sometimes I don't get you. You're a living puzzle. "She replies.

"Hmmm. Living puzzle ey? Now, that's a new one. " I reply this time laughing from the heart.

"Okay. Edna and I would be there soon. Just give us a few minutes." she says

"Oooh. Take your time, no rush. " I reply with a smile although I know she can't see me.

No doubt. Being with the girls would make me feel better, but I want to fully absorb every single detail about this moment.

From the sudden heavyweight, I feel in my chest, to the dryness in my throat, to the chirping of the crickets, to the desire to cry but lack of tears, to the replay of Victor's cruel words in my mind, to the wet grass due to the night's dew, to my trembling hands, to the cloud of embarrassment looming over my head.

To question if I was able to mask my pain well enough, and finally to the rate at which my heart is beating.

I want to savor it all. As I had just allowed what I shouldn't have, to happen and Faith's words and warnings did come to pass.

I remember this one time when we art students had a free period and we were all talking before a teacher called me and I took about five minutes to be done running the errands.

Feyi later told me that Victor put all forms of discussion on hold till I returned, and then I remember his first day and how he kept holding my hands and all...