Chapter 2

Adam

I was in the kitchen reading. I have been so bored. I haven't played hockey in forever. All I have been doing is reading and hanging out with Charlie. I also am trying to find a college I can go to.

Dad has been trying to get me back on the ice, but I can't. Ever since Courtney told me that she was leaving at the lake, I never touched the ice again.

"Adam! You got mail!" I heard Dad yell. I got up from my chair and went over to him in his den. He was looking at the unopened envelope.

"I got mail?" I asked. He looked at me.

"Not going to believe this." Dad said with a little laugh in his voice. I looked at him funny.

"What?" I asked. I walked over to him and he handed me the letter. I looked at it. It's a letter from the University of Minnesota. I opened that letter and started to read it.

"What is it?" Dad asked. I looked up from the letter.

"I just got a scholarship for hockey." I stated. I saw Dad's face light up. He stood up and hugged me. I was still stiff as a rock, staring off to space.

"Congratulations son!" Dad yelled. He let go of me and grabbed my shoulders. I smiled.

"Can't believe it." I sighed, looking down at the letter again. I heard Dad laugh a little again.

"I can. You're an amazing player, Adam. Now, when do you get it?" Dad asked. I looked back down at the letter.

"Three days." I replied. I looked up at him. Dad smiled even more.

"Let me take you out for dinner tonight! My treat, new hockey player!" Dad cheered. He turned me around and put his arm around me. We started to walk out. "My son is going to the University of Minnesota!" Dad cheered. I was still trying to process this in my head.

"Why would they want me?" I asked, looking at Dad. I folded the letter and gently put it in my pocket.

"Because you are an awesome player. Quick, fast, and smart." Dad explained. I nodded.

Hopefully they will still except me when they see me ice skate.