Chapter 33 (revised) : Frustration

Start from the beginning

Back in Ba Seng Sei, Renko returned to the palace complex, leaning against the rail of an upper balcony. He looked angrily out over the city. The spirit human hybrid creature was put away in a cage somewhere to be studied. Renko couldn't do anything to help it. He couldn't control the Avatar state, not that he knew how to trigger it in the first place, and his connection to Avatar Korra was too weak for him to call her up and ask for help. He didn't stop the boy with the blue eyes from walking away, he didn't know what the Dark Hand was planning and this was the fifth act of terror they had caused in the world. War and civil unrest were coming. And he could do nothing about it. Down below him, he could see Kuzo and the others coming back from helping the police. They were walking into the palace. Hopefully, they had an easier time than he did.

"knock knock," Ahmad said as he came to join the simmering Avatar. "Hey, I wanted to see if you were okay."

"I'm not," Renko replied bluntly not turning his head to face Ahmad.

"Right," Ahmad said. "You know..."

"I'm starting to think this global summit was a waste of time," Renko abruptly interrupted. "I'm not a fully realized Avatar and I know my dad is just going to do whatever he wants. I thought as much after the last meeting."

"But Ren you're trying-"

"And now I have to go back in there and listen to whatever stupid thing the world leaders are going to do."

"Okay yeah but-"

"And the people I care about, or thought I did, are going to leave and-"

"Renko, shut up!" Ahmad finally shouted. "Yes, we lost this one but this isn't the end. You and I both have to master air bending and then we can figure it out after that."

"You and I?" Renko finally turned his head to the young air bender. "I seem to remember you wanting to leave and go back to the air temples."

"Because I am tired," Ahmad said. "I came because I felt affection towards you that was never returned."

"Well I'm sorry but-"

"No, stop," Ahmad said. "Traveling with you and fighting literal monsters with you has been fun, but I'm tired. I've been so focused on helping you, being with you, that I've lost sight of myself."

"But what happens next?" Renko asked. "This book of my life ends and I move on trying to find new connections? That I neglect the friendships I made in the past to focus on new characters?"

"Look I don't know," Ahmad replied. "Maybe you need a chapter alone. Kuzo and Koa will return to the Fire Nation, Tiulo will return to the White Lotus, and even Pāru will have to go back to her studies. You need to remember, our lives don't revolve around you or fighting the Dark Hand."

"You're right," Renko said. "I can't keep expecting people to give themselves up for me. I need to learn who I am first."

"And what do you want to do?"

"Right now," Renko said. "I want to get back to the meeting and tell the world leaders exactly what I think."

"Good," Ahmad said with a smile. He looked at the man he fell for. "I think all of the people who have stood by you so far can get behind that."

Renko nodded. He dusted himself off and he and his friend walked back into the throne room.

Once everyone had returned and was seated at the table, no one spoke for a few minutes. People either sat to take everything thing in or they waited for someone else to speak. They all knew what was coming. Five terror attacks in three separate nations in two years meant that things had to change. Finally, Ridhya spoke.

"I think we all know what must be done," he said solemnly. "The Earth States must move on Whale Tail Island and work to dig out the root of this terrorism. I must also enact domestic measures to prevent such acts of terror at home."

"If you do that," Renko said. "I will fight against it."

Ridhya and the other leaders turned to him shocked.

"I'm afraid you are too late," Ridhya said. "The executive orders have already been written. They only require my signature."

"What sort of measures exactly?" Baoshi asked.

"Any neighborhoods or communities with a strong Whale Tail minority will have to be under a curfew and potentially surveyed. And I am afraid we have to limit travel into and out of the nation."

"And let us not forget our military arraignment," Chief Zuzata added. "20,000 troops on the island, 5,000 of which are southern water tribe forces."

"We will certainly not take part in any of this," Kuzo stood to say. "The Fire Nation will stand with the Avatar."

"Surprise surprise," Zuzata said sarcastically.

"What does that mean?" Kuzo asked through gritted teeth.

"Clearly, the time you two spent sharing a bed has clouded your judgment," Zuzata said. "Your father would be extremely disappointed to see his only son's behavior."

"You should not talk about behavior," Soldotna stood this time to speak. "You have been sending water tribe men and women to fight in a made-up war for months. Now, you wish to send even more."

"If the fair lady had any common sense," Zuzata replied. "Or even left her palace to visit her cousins in the south, she would know the fear that has struck the hearts of many in my tribe. Our fishermen cannot fish without fear of a Dark Hand raid."

"Well," President Yen stood and gathered her things. Her delegation did the same.

"I will not sit through a family quarrel. I think Master Baoshi would agree with me that this is not what we expected from today. I understand the dangers that may be ahead but until we can come to some form of consensus you will not have the United Republic on your side."

Baoshi stood and nodded. She and her delegation proceeded to march out of the throne room. Ahmad walked out with them and caught Renko's eye. He gave him a knowing look.

Then, as the family quarrel at one of the table continued, Renko and his father Ridhya stared angrily at each other. Both trying to succumb the other to his will.

.

At the same time, Ippei stood in front of the bed Fogwai was sitting on just an hour earlier. The mad scientist had fled and took his research notes with him. A radio with a long antenna sat on the nightstand. It wasn't there when Ippei left. Fogwai must have used it to contact someone. Someone who helped him flee. Now what? Ippei asked himself. Now what? 

Author's note: Well, I hope you like the revision. I think this falls more in line with what the characters would actually have done in this situation.