Chapter 4

~Scarlett/Sera~

I stand up immediately and start wiping my face. I rush to pick up the bucket and drain the blood-red water out. I clean every evidence of bloodshed, away.

I quickly change my expression. I put up a comforting smile that hides every evidence of my breakdown and inner turmoil, convincingly.

I walk into the room to greet my sister. She looks pale.
"Scarlett! Oh thank God you are okay." Sam tells me.

"How you doing, Sam?" I ask her, taking my place next to her.

"Am scared." She whispered. "Come, everyone is waiting to meet you." I tell her. She looks confused so I pull her up and start walking, dragging her along me.

She gasps. "It was all debris here, everything was broken how did you clean it up so fast Scarlett?" She asks, surprised.

"Oh I am magical, Sam." I smile at her. She hugs me and I kiss her forehead, that's the only way I know to tell her I'll keep her safe, I know she understood.

"Why are all of them here?" She asks. "Hey lemme introduce them to you." I tell her, faking excitement. "This is Peter and Rose." I say pointing at them. She already knows Nat, Moon, Sheldon, Shabin. 

"Roland!" She says. He perks up, "You do remember me then, Sammy!" He is an only child, loves my sister a lot, just like his own. "Oh, Roland! At least someone I know!" She sighs in relief. I clear my throat. 

"Am I invisible to you, missy?" I smile sheepishly at her. 

"What are they doing here, Scar?" She asks. Okayyy....

"Sam, these are my friends, they care about me and that's exactly why only they are here." I say emphasizing 'only'. 

"I think we should stay here with our families for sometime. We've been out for so long and now I don't think it would be fine to not be there with them. From the incident that took place today I think Darren's target is our families now." Nat says.

"Yeah. I agree." I say, tightening my hold on Sam.

"Sam I know things are confusing am sorry but I have to do this to you." I say apologetically. "Do what, Sca-" before she could do anything I erase her memory. 

"I don't know what happened just now.." Sam says, "It's okay they were here to pick me up for a picnic on the Moonlight Mountain. Keep the doors locked, and double check the windows. Okay?" I lie. 

"Hey, where's mom and dad?" oops.

"You forgot? They went out to Aunt Flora's. She needed help in arranging the house, she just shifted to another town. They'll be staying there for a week or so..." I lie again.

"Oh yeah, yeah, oh yes I remember now. Okay, I'll take care." She assures me, confused. 

"Bye bye. I'll be back before night." I told her. I made sure she locked the door. "What are you doing, Scarlett?" Rose hissed.

"Locks won't stop Darren from taking her as well." I shrug.

"Suojella es huis, et se menschen chi asuvat se.  Fanya menettää na nullum kop au ministeri. Fanya nullum unterschied, voor neb alium et ich."  [protect this home, and the people who reside it. Make bargain with no head or minister. Make no difference, for anyone other than I]

Moon, Nat and I chant, putting the spell on the house.

"Tongue twisters..." Kenn murmurs once we three finish chanting. 

"You gotta stop calling this language tongue twisters." we laugh. "I can't" he joins us. 

"We gotta put this spell on everyone's house so that everyone's safe. Every life matters, let's go." I say.

"Does that include mine as well?" Eric asks. 

"Eric I did say everyone's house, you gotta accept this fact now, you are one of us, a dear one for all of us." I answer his. He hugs me, and I reciprocate the gratitude.

"Let's go then." Kenn says.