A light tap woke me up and I was snuggled on Yves's shoulder. I straightened up and opened the curtain.

"Have we arrived?"

"No, we took a rest for now. Let's go outside. The servants had prepared refreshments."

We stepped out. The other road was blocked yesterday and we had to pass in between the Luriem Forest and the Black Mounds that bordered Relandey and Nurien. It was a whole detour in this route as it required almost double the time which caused our delay.

It was already nighttime when we traveled but if my memory served me right, this was the exact spot we rested yesterday as I could hear the soft trickle of falling water not too far away from us.

The servants prepared a mat as I separated from Yves and strolled around. Xenon was already behind me. Silent as usual and perfunctorily doing his duties.

The sound of water grew louder and a clear stream awaited us. It led to a lake surrounded by tall trees looking like a picturesque scene framing the hills not too far away.

There was a pond in Misty Forest where Night took me some time and taught me how to swim but this place looked more enticing. Maybe because it had the view of the Black Mounds which were a group of hills clustered together that withered due to the summer heat.

I loosened the bow of my bonnet and took off my slippers. Aside from the gardens, the waters always brought me calmness and a feeling of excitement at the same time as I walked near it.

"Princess, you can't. It's dangerous."

I chuckled at Xenon's warning. "This lake is shallow, Xenon. Nothing will happen."

I lifted my skirt to my knees and lightly tapped my feet to feel the temperature. It was noon and the water was completely warm. The water reached up to my ankles and I took careful steps enjoying the ripples I made. A soft gust abruptly came and blew my hair with strands covering my face.

I tidied it up just when I noticed that my bonnet had been blown away too, which was far from where I was. The bonnet was one of the items Cindra gave me and I could not lose it. I set out farther to reach it.

"Princess, be careful."

I looked back at Xenon who was looking very tense for some reason. I just smiled at him and proceeded to get my bonnet.

I grabbed it and when I turned around, I had a misstep from the slippery stone and in just a second everything went wrong. 

The water that didn't even reach up to my knees was suddenly over me. The stones grumbled at my feet and I could not land on anything. The day dress that was said to be made of the lightest material to be comfortable for any ladies was nowhere light in this situation. The clothes stuck to me as I struggled to swim back.

However, everything got worse. A slugging thing instantly wrapped my ankle and pulled me under.

"Xenon!" I called and flailed my arms.

My vision got troubled with water splashing as I was trying to break free. I shouted for help again until I ultimately sank. I opened my eyes and I was faced with long weeds dancing in the tune of the lake. Beneath the calm surface of the visible stones, it showed from above, monstrous plants that looked like it has a life on their own lay underneath it.

Shit. I was slowly getting out of breath. There's no way I will die like this.

I grappled on the tangled plants but it was no use as the air was slowly escaping me. All hope would have disappeared if not for the rushing splash.