Chapter 23

Serene

I hear the door open to Mick's apartment and I feel nervous, wondering in what state he will be after coming from the clubhouse.

He swoops in and bends to give me a world-rocking kiss, dipping me and bringing me back up.

"Wow Mick, you're in a good mood." I eye him suspiciously.

"Indeed I am" he says, with a big smile on his face.

I want to ask about Josh, but I don't want to ruin the moment so I table the discussion for now.

"I got home a little early and made your favorite Mac & Cheese, with extra cheese and some baby back ribs in BBQ sauce for dinner."

I win another kiss after my announcement.

"You really are in a good mood today. Care to share?"

"Later" he tells me, with a cheesy grin.

We sit at the table to eat and finish what I dare say myself was a damn tasty meal before we head to the living room to see what's on. I've been spending a lot more time at Micky's apartment and it's starting to feel like home. After he gave me a copy of the key, I think I've spent more time here than at my own. At that realization, I turn to him.

"Mick?"

"Yeah?"

"I really hope I'm not intruding by constantly coming over. I just realized the past few weeks I've probably spent more time at your place than mine. You can always tell me to give you some space you know."

He looks to me with a curious gaze, "Do you need more space from me is the better question? Because I sure don't"

"Of course not." I blush. "I love your home. I feel at home here too now"

"Good" He leans in for a kiss, "because I have a surprise for you."

He pulls out a velvet box from his pants and is now standing at my feet as I'm sitting on the couch.

"Serene Gray, would you please make me the happiest, luckiest, male on this entire fucking planet and marry me?"

I start to tear up, but immediately wipe the tears away as I lean in and give him a kiss, pulling him towards me. "Yes" I tell him in between kisses while I hear him chuckling.

He takes my hand and slides a beautiful engagement ring on my hand, and I can't help but be in awe.

"It's gorgeous Mick"

"I want you forever. And I never want to let you go"

"I love you" I tell him in response, as I pull him with me on the couch.

"I know the setting isn't romantic or anything, but it just felt right."

I quickly shut down that thought. "I don't need a fancy place Mick. This comfort, this home, and you, are all I need to be happy"

I snuggle into his side on the couch and look up to him, "Is it kay of I ask you what happened with Josh?"

He takes his hand and tips up my chin so he can look me in the eyes. "I wanted to give him a second chance like you did for Brian. But he fucked it up. He was never going to stop going after you. He had no remorse, Serene. None. His eyes, what he was saying, it was clear he didn't want to change and you can't help a man that doesn't want to help himself. And I sure as fuck was not going to risk your life for his. It was a quick ending. I would have taken my time personally, but I know you wouldn't want that"

I look into his eyes and bring my hands to his head to pull him in for a kiss. "Thank you"

We sit on the couch for the next few hours, in complete comfort. I'm going to be Mrs. Ellington in the nearish future, I no longer have a target on my back, and I've gotten pretty damn good at self-defense thanks to Mick.

The last piece of my dream future is within grasp. "Mick?"

"Yes babe?"

"Were you serious about me working at your investment firm? I think I want to try it. Maybe the investments or maybe the tech. Or wherever you need me frankly. I could go to training, get a certificate, whatever you need to..."

He cuts me off with a deep kiss that takes my breath away, "you can go wherever you please. You're really smart Serene. Like stupidly so. And not only are you a natural, but you also work really fucking hard and that's a damn good combination. The positions are open, take what you want. Or better yet, I can give you a tour and you can see which team you might like to sit on yeah?"

"I'd like that a lot" I tell him.

I take one last look at the ring on my finger and send a quick prayer to Guardian Angel Michael for bringing me my own version right here in my arms.

A/N: Epilogue is up next. Hope you enjoyed the ride. I'm going to miss Micky & Serene :')