Chapter 36: Depression

ابدأ من البداية

    After you had finished your unnecessarily long shower, you stood in front of the mirror to handle your hair

After you had finished your unnecessarily long shower, you stood in front of the mirror to handle your hair. You were feeling pretty lazy so you brushed it to get the kinks out, finishing the style with two simple crown braids. You walked back into your room wearing just your bra and underwear, feeling Garnet's watchful eyes on you. You slid open your closet doors, grabbing an outfit you had been saving for the fall. You slipped the maroon shirt over your head, stretching your arms into their designated holes. You closed the closet door, carrying the matching shirt over to your dresser to grab the black stockings you had bought with the outfit. You pulled the thin material over your legs, the velvet skirt following soon after. Your feet padded across your carpet and over to your mirror until you were standing in front of it. You gently brushed your hands over the material, your reflection staring back at you. "What's wrong, (y/n)", Garnet's accented voice asked from behind you. Her question was soon followed by the sound of shuffling. The fusion then stood behind you, probably worried since you hadn't answered her right away.
"This outfit...I was with Jasper when I bought it", you said with a soft laugh. "I remember trying it on and coming out of the dressing room to show it off. My mom was sitting next to her on an ottoman in the walkway. Jasper complimented me and I immediately became flustered", you continued, raising your hands to cup your cheeks. "I don't think I'll ever forget the way she looked at me that day. I think that's when I realized that I had a thing for her." Garnet chuckled, squeezing your shoulders.
"I promise, you'll see her again."
"How do you know for sure though, Garnet", you asked, turning to look up at the fusion.
"Let's just say I have a hunch. Steven would never leave a friend behind."
"She tried to kill him", you snorted. "She tried to kill all of you."
"Let's forgive and forget, huh", she said, patting your cheek. You gave the fusion a soft smile, watching as Garnet began walking towards your bedroom door. "I'll be outside with the others. Don't take too long." You nodded, going to grab your shoes and put them on before leaving your room.
Once you locked the front door, you turned towards the beach to see Garnet sitting on top of Greg's van. Lapis was leaning against it, and Pearl was in the driver's seat, looking at herself in the rearview mirror. You smiled softly, walking across the sand towards them. The gems who saw you instantly perked up, smiling at you. Well, except for Lapis, but that didn't bother you. You climbed into the passenger seat next to Pearl, looking behind you to see Peridot and Amethyst in the back. "How are you feeling, (y/n)", Pearl asked sweetly, starting the car.
       "I'll survive", you said with a shrug, smiling at her. The pale gem nodded, beginning to drive off of the beach. You glanced in the mirror outside of your window, seeing Lapis flying behind the van. You stuck your head out, looking up to see that Garnet was still sitting calmly on top of the vehicle too.
"Well, that's one way to ride in style", you mumbled, sitting back comfortably in your seat.

*time skip brought to you by "Let Me Drive My Van Into Your Heart"*

"Okay, everyone out of the vehicle", Pearl announced after parking and shutting the car off.
"Pearl, you can't park here. This is a handicapped parking space", you explained, looking over at the pale gem.
"Well, Peridot is pretty much handicapped without her limp enhancers, so I say we'll be fine." You pressed your lips together, looking back at the green gem. Peridot had a look of horror on her face before pouting cutely, crossing her arms. Amethyst collapsed into a fit of laughter, holding her stomach.
"Nice burn, P!" Pearl got out of the car, looking particularly proud of herself.
"It's your fault I don't have them anymore", Peridot complained, getting out of the van.
"She was only joking, Peridot", Garnet reassured with a chuckle, ruffling the smaller gem's hair. "Isn't that right, Pearl?"
"Why, of course!" You laughed lightly, shutting the passenger seat door.
"Why are we here exactly", you asked, looking over at the supercenter across the street from you.
"Well, another human showed up at the barn. He's some kind of family to Steven, so we want to make him feel as much at home as possible by throwing a big celebration", Pearl explained, walking by your side.
"We should split up once we get inside", Garnet said, walking behind you. "I'm taking Peridot."
"I don't have a choice, do I?" You looked down, seeing Peridot tucked snuggly under Garnet's arm. You giggled, covering your mouth.
"No, I don't think you do have a choice, Peri", you said with a small smile. The gem huffed, crossing her arms as Garnet chuckled, flipping the other gem so that she was holding her like a child. Peridot blushed softly, frowning, but it was obvious that she didn't mind being carried.
"I'll go with, (y/n)", Amethyst said, grabbing ahold of your hand. You gave her a surprised expression at first, your (e/c) eyes softening a moment later. You ruffled the quartz's hair, walking into the store with the rest of the gems. You went to grab a shopping cart, and the rest of them followed you. Garnet placed Peridot inside the front seat of the cart, beginning to push it into the store. You grabbed one next laughing when Amethyst jumped onto it, standing on the metal bar above the wheels. Pearl was the last to grab one, Lapis walking calmly beside her.
"So, where to Amy", you asked with a hum, looking up and down the different aisles.
"I'm not sure...what do you think?"
"Well, what do you guys already have?" You turned into the freezer section of the store, looking over the different flavors and brands of ice cream.
"We have vegetables! And — well that's it." You laughed, backing out of the aisle.
"Something needs to go with those vegetables. Maybe a turkey?" Amethyst's indigo eyes sparkled as she grinned at you, making you giggle. "I'll take that as a yes." You walked over to the middle of the store where the turkeys were. Amethyst jumped off of the shopping cart, diving into the freezer of turkeys. "Amethyst", you shouted, leaving the basket in the middle of the aisle. The quartz popped out of the freezer, holding a handful of frozen turkeys.
"Let's get these!"
"We only need one, honey", you said with a chuckle, taking the biggest one from her hands. You put it into the basket, turning around to pull Amethyst out of the freezer. "Have anything else in mind?" The quartz hummed, climbing into the shopping cart with the turkey.
"No, not really. Let's find the others." You nodded, beginning to push the basket again. "But...I've been meaning to ask you." You raised an eyebrow at the quartz, leaning against the handlebar of the shopping cart as you continued to push it. "How have you been feeling? I've seen your smile one too many times to tell when it's a fake one." A blush slowly warmed your face and you averted your (e/c) eyes from Amethyst's indigo ones.
"I'm fine, Amy, seriously. I'll be alright."
"I'm for real, (y/n)", she said, pulling the turkey from the basket as she hopped out. You stepped back as she approached you, crossing your arms. "I want to help. You can talk to me."
"I know Amy, but really — I'm okay", you said, giving her a soft smile. The quartz sighed, nodding before grabbing your hand and placing it on her head. You giggled, ruffling her hair again.
"There you two are!" You turned towards Pearl's shrill voice, smiling at her. "We're ready to go. What's that you've got there, Amethyst?"
"A turkey", the quartz answered with a shrug. "(Y/n) thought it would be a good idea." Pearl clapped her hands together, obviously delighted.
"Oh, how wonderful! Lapis, don't you think that's great?"
"Yurp", the blue gem said, staring back at you blankly.
"Well, come on now. We need to find Peridot and —"
"We're right here", Garnet said, appearing behind Pearl suddenly. The pale gem jumped, holding her chest.
"My stars, you scared me!" You laughed, glancing up at Peridot who was sitting on Garnet's shoulders. "Now that we're all together again, let's go and pay and get back to the barn."
"What did you guys even get", you asked curiously, following the rest of the gems out of the aisle.
"You'll see. I'm sure you'll be surprised", Pearl said excitedly. "Here, take the keys and go back to the van. We'll meet you there." You shrugged, taking the keys from Pearl and heading back to the van.