Chapter 21

(AN)

TRIGGER WARNING: I don't believe there are any trigger warnings in this chapter, but let me know if I missed any. 

...

She groaned in pain as she began to open her eyes. They were met with blinding bright lights. She felt a tight squeeze on her left hand and attempted to turn towards the source, she couldn't. She began to panic, was she paralyzed what was going on. She started to squirm hoping, praying that her body would move.

It did, each shake was met with violent bursts of excruciating pain.

"Woah, woah don't move," Spencer says. She couldn't see him but she'd recognize his voice. She continued to shake, she refused to believe that she could've come out of this relatively unscathed, at least not dead.

"Seriously (Y/N) stop," Spencer says more aggressive. He grabbed her thighs trying to stop her from moving. She could finally see him. His face was bruised and one arm was strapped together with a cast. He was in bad shape. His long hair was still in its perfect curls.

"Spencer," she whimpered. Spencer turned to her, still holding down her thighs. His touch created a burning sensation on her legs. She felt the cuts, the burns, and all the pain that coated her thighs.

"Yes, what anything," he replies. He was happy she was talking. She had been in a coma for 6 days, and each and every minute he spent sitting next to her. His injuries were less severe than hers. The moment that the doctors said he could, he came and visited her. He was hoping for her to say that she loved him. He had been telling her that every day, with every chance that he could, hoping that she could hear him.

"Where's Hotch," she said. She could barely get it out. Her voice would crack with each vowel.

"Um... he's outside, why?" Spencer said. He was a little irritated. Why was she asking for Hotch, he hadn't sat here waiting for her for the past 5 days. Hotch hadn't kissed her forehead every night hoping it made her wake up. Hotch had been in the waiting room every so often since she got here, leaving to sleep, eat, and see Jack.

"Can you get him. I have to talk to him," she gets out.  Spencer looked at her, his eyes filled with anger. She could see it building up and knew she had to explain herself or he was going to hate her more.

"Spence, do you remember the things he said about me in there?" She asked. She looked for his eyes to change and be filled with sympathy for the words said to her. His expression didn't change. 

"Look Spencer, I am beyond happy that you were the first person I got to see when I woke up, but I need to know if Hotch meant what he said. I don't think I could come back if that's really what my boss thought about me and my decisions," She says. She was feeling stronger with every passing minute, her legs still stung when the cloth of the sheets rubbed against her healing cuts. The anger left Spencer's face as flashbacks of the words Hotch said about her while they were there played in his head. He knew that Hotch didn't mean it but he also knew that (Y/N) was quite the overthinker, and she would need reassurance. 

"I'll go get him," Spencer said. His hands left her thighs, she winced with the movement, the bruises recognizing the pain. He walked out the door, he was in a hospital gown. She got a quick reminder that he was a patient too. She began to think about what he went through, she had been so worried about what Hotch thought about her as an agent that she didn't even bother to ask Spencer how he was feeling. He endured much of the same pain that she did, his pain was her fault she thought. 

Reid returned with Hotch to his right, and closely trailing behind them was the rest of the team. Spencer returned to his seat right next to her bed, he pulled her hand down below the bed and held it tight.